View Full Version : TAS motorsport

-Bruce-
22-03-05, 07:38 PM
Ok I ordered a set of lowered angle tie bar mounts off TAS two weeks ago. I got them today after allot of pissing about. As you can imagine not pleased. As i could have modiefied the std ones or got them made by a engineer. But i dont have much time now and i had the money so i thought why not just by the TAS ones.

I had a wee look at them today when i got home and noticed that the bearings inside them were two different sizes. The ends of the tie bars go through the bearings. The i offered up a tie bar to the bearings to find neither of the bearings are the correct size. GOOD STUFF eh??

Im also not sure how the tie bar gets fixed in the bearing joint and gives me a certain caster angle. If anyone has these can they pass the info on about them.

Has anyone used TAS before and whats there veiws on them?? Im not trying to say TAS are a poor company, just the fact that i have not received anywhere near the service i wanted.

Bruce

benji
22-03-05, 07:42 PM
just missed you on msm. can you get me some good pic's of them while you have them. i am also thinking about making some, and after reading this i might just do that

Stuart
22-03-05, 07:51 PM
i assume you have blue brackets with a spherical bearing in as the mounting and you use da block of ally to space the brackets down with.

to adjust the caster you have to cut the metal slieve down to suit, i cut jims down to about 15mm but they actually need to be a fraction longer, prehaps 17mm.

his also had the bearings larger than the tie bar but inorder to preven faffing about returning stuff etc i made up some intermediate slieves to go between the tie bar and the bearing. not the best way as the company didnt find out about the isssue right away but hey.

it seems TAS are fcuking a few people about t the mo, a guy on mig complained the other day.

Phil GTE
22-03-05, 08:49 PM
was going to buy some parts parts from TAS, from the 'this month's special offers' email

the offer expired 18 days after the email and they would not budge. How is 18 days equal to a month? Despite pointing this out, they are continuing to send out mis-leading emails.

I have never spoken to such an un-motivated sales person: Keiron. My feeling was he made every attempt to stop a sale and inspired ZERO confidence in his technical knowladge. Plus he priced items incorrectly, not realising there are two sides to car (and it was an overcharge before you ask).

I would rather go without than buy from TAS. I cannot see any reason to use them. I left a messasage for the manager to call me back and it never happed - what a suprise. If they cant be bothered to call me back over ?500+ what chance does anyone have against smaller items?

Incedentally, according to comapies house their submission is past its date, so I wouldnt be suprised if they bankrupt again.

Shame, I was looking to spend over ?500 (and told them this) and they wernt bothered.

May not be the norm, but that is my dismal experiance.

Stuart
22-03-05, 08:52 PM
what were you looking to buy?

BigRuss
22-03-05, 08:54 PM
TAS are the cheap end of the market, same as everything really, You get what You pay for.

TAS are particularly renowned for having poor quality rose joints.

to adjust the caster you have to cut the metal slieve down to suit, i cut jims down to about 15mm but they actually need to be a fraction longer, prehaps 17mm.

:o :o They are not supposed to be a particular size at all, You are supposed to cut them down till You get the amount of Castor that You require, that is pretty much the entire point of them :o :o

Phil GTE
22-03-05, 08:58 PM
what were you looking to buy?

Comp engine mounts

Wide track kit (any ideas of alternative vendors?)

alloy steering rack mounts

Got to be enough ? for them to be interested - hasnt it?

-Bruce-
22-03-05, 09:00 PM
I have never spoken to such an un-motivated sales person: Keiron. My feeling was he made every attempt to stop a sale and inspired ZERO confidence in his technical knowladge. Plus he priced items incorrectly, not realising there are two sides to car (and it was an overcharge before you ask).

Agree with that 100%

Bruce

Stuart
22-03-05, 09:05 PM
T

:o :o They are not supposed to be a particular size at all, You are supposed to cut them down till You get the amount of Castor that You require, that is pretty much the entire point of them :o :o

i know you cut them to suit your needs, hence why i said i cut jims to 15mm but in reality for track stuff etc you need more castor so they need to be longer.

Adam Moran
22-03-05, 09:13 PM
I purchased some engine mounts of them last year and i was very disapointed in the service i got. Can't commment on the parts as i havent fitted them.

I would not buy from them again :(

Dar
22-03-05, 09:20 PM
Intresting reading. I think I may have had a lucky escape then. I tryed getting hold of TAS for some stuff in jan and they didn't even bother to answer the phone. So got it elsewhere.

I did get some rose-jointed top mounts from them a few years back and one of the rosejoints was iffy (It all starts to become clear). Also I seem to remember them taking a long time to come as well. No wonder Demon Tweeks stoped dealing with them.

-Bruce-
22-03-05, 09:35 PM
Yeh dar, we were going to do a group buy on them remember!! LUcky you never as would have been a real pisser if we both had a muck up.

Bruce

CP
22-03-05, 10:05 PM
Didn't TAS go tit's up a year or so back?

Big Russ is right - you get what you pay for with these rally inspired parts. I've had stuff that quite frankly a chimp with a cordless and a glue gun could have made a better job of fabricating :roll: - so much so that i had to re-weld some bits and re-tap the holes out.

If you look through listings for ball/spherical/rose joints from bearing factors there's a huge difference in price and quality. Proper high grade automotive ones are ???'s

Phil GTE
22-03-05, 10:08 PM
they did go under and come back

its decided, there useless.

So where can I buy a wide track kit?

Aragorn
22-03-05, 10:25 PM
tbh these joints are overkill for the purpose intended by bruce

you would have been better getting an engineer to extend the front plate up by 30mm and fabricate the 20mm spacers and use normal poly bushes

thats what im going to do as i feel there really is no point in spending ?120 for a normal road car with an otherwise standard suspension setup

benji
22-03-05, 10:40 PM
is it deffinatly 30mm lower?

dhdev (Oli)
23-03-05, 01:07 PM
i bought some tie bar brackets a few weeks back and had the ame prob with fitting, i fabricated some sleeves from a bit of steel bar and placed these between the nut and rose joint on the tie bar, thus the tie bar butts up against the back of the joint, is this 'incorrect', i figured this would give max castor?

Benji i think its more like 20mm.

on a plus note i reckon the brackets have made a massive difference, i did fit them at the same time as strengthened / adjustable / rose-jointed TCA's tho. the front end feel is transformed with next to zero play now and turn in seems much sharper, the car also tends to stay flatter under braking and acceleration.

scott.parker
23-03-05, 02:30 PM
Can some one post some pictures up of this set up as i think i might need this to try and sort out some nasty play,and handling probs..cheers

Scott

-Bruce-
23-03-05, 05:10 PM
I will take a afew pics of mine tonight and the problems i had with them for you tonight scott, as Stu wanted a look at them aswell.

Bruce

-Bruce-
24-03-05, 05:13 PM
Some pics of the mounts and bearings. For scott, stu and benji and others who want a look.

I took the pics in a rush before work today, so not the best.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/broos3/carstuff233.jpg
lowered block (20mm) and tie bar mount.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/broos3/carstuff234.jpg
Closer veiw of mount. Bearing gets fitted from the other side and the securer ring clamps the bearing in possition.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/broos3/carstuff235.jpg
Bearing on tie bar. I found out that i need to put a sleive into the bearings to change the ID from 17mm to 14mm from TAS.

But the sleives and the other bearing I need will be delivered to TAS on latest Tuesday!!

Bruce