PDA

View Full Version : key snapped in ignition help plz!!

snypa
22-03-05, 07:26 AM
Hi lads, somehow my old man managed to snap my key right into the ignition last night, with most of the key jammed solid into the ignition!! :( Because the car was out on a busy street ive just stuck a steering lock on for now, but i cant find my trusty haynes to see how to remove the ignition so that i can take the steering lock off to get bk into the entry. Could sum1 have a look in the haynes for me plz and explain how to remove the ignition along with releasing the steering lock before my car gets smashed into as its in a horribkle place! thanks alot

Stuart
22-03-05, 07:57 AM
i had my key snap in the barrel a hwile ago, due to the nature of the barrel removal you need the key in there, but when its snapped you cant get it into the appropriate position to remove it as the haynes manual says (btw if youve not got one go an buy one they are usefullish).

mine had to be cut off with a grinder

Aragorn
22-03-05, 09:27 AM
if u can still get the barrel to turn then you'll be fine, turn it to position 2 and shove a piece of stiff wire into the hole on the top edge of the barrel casing and it will pop out

snypa
22-03-05, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the advice lads but the barrel seems to be totally jarred, will not turn atall probably from me trynna get the part of the key out, if i remove the shear bolt from the clamp of the barrel will the steering lock disengage? I jus need to be able to turn the wheel to push it back into the garage till my new ignition comes! cheers again much appreciated guys

Stuart
22-03-05, 10:21 AM
yes, if you remove the sheer bolt you will be able to drop the barrel/steering lock mechanism off.

i favour a grinder lol, but a die cutter is a better option as its smaller and more accurate.

Philsutton
22-03-05, 10:56 AM
i just swapped my whole column over, couldnt be doing with pissing around with the barrel