PDA

View Full Version : My fun day at santa pod (pics)

Philsutton
21-03-05, 07:36 PM
Well instead of going to the karting i went santa pod on sunday as i had only just got the car back wanted to see if it made any difference.

Well i had one run which was 14.3 my fastest yet but still could have been better. Then the fun started, on my second run i had lots of grip an bang the shaft snapped it was a good clean snap as well.

Anyway ended up having someone bring me another shaft down from notts and some tools an i swapped there at the side. I managed to get this done in time for the last run of the day so i thought id have another go before we went. turns out i hadnt popped the shaft in fully an it worked its way out of the gearbox, but i had to go on the line didnt it :evil: It snapped the end of the inner CV into the diff.

I got home at about 10.30pm on the back of a truck. It seems everytime im at santa pod some thing breaks or fucks up.
Here are some pics of the damage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/carbs016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/carbs018.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/carbs017.jpg

benji
21-03-05, 07:39 PM
gutted. did it damage the diff?? at least you can see some improvement already, what shafts are they?

Philsutton
21-03-05, 07:42 PM
it didnt damage the diff but i thought it had at first as i should have been able to at least back off the line out the way but it didnt work when it snapped. They are only GTE shafts, i have now snapped 3 or maybe 4 i cant quite remember. Any ideas on stopping this with out going for silly money uprated ones?

Riggy
21-03-05, 09:10 PM
lol you nobber :o pmsl i would have had the balls to go up the stip after snapping your spare shaft :lol:

you are totally crazy :lol: :lol:

dan-hipgrave
21-03-05, 09:16 PM
lol your mad mate, what are you gonna be like with the V8???? :lol:

NickWalliams
21-03-05, 09:19 PM
it didnt damage the diff but i thought it had at first as i should have been able to at least back off the line out the way but it didnt work when it snapped. They are only GTE shafts, i have now snapped 3 or maybe 4 i cant quite remember. Any ideas on stopping this with out going for silly money uprated ones?

Dont thrash it off the line! :lol:

Philsutton
21-03-05, 09:59 PM
well it gets better, ive put it all back together thinking it was all good an working. Got 200 yards down the road an ive lost all drive again ffs i hate novas.

Dont thrash it off the line!

Thats the whole idea of it, if i was gonna drive like a pansy i would have a soft top.
Seriously thinking of getting rid as i cant go one week with something fucking up.

Ojc
22-03-05, 11:36 AM
I witnessed this, I said to my girlfriend "either snapped the clutch cable or snapped a driveshaft" so the latter was correct.

As I was leaving I saw you fixing it at the side of the road.

Jim
22-03-05, 12:57 PM
They are only GTE shafts, i have now snapped 3 or maybe 4 i cant quite remember. Any ideas on stopping this with out going for silly money uprated ones?

Looks like your going to have to put your hand in your pocket. I don't know much about 2.0 16v conversions, but changing the shafts is something that I hear most people do during the conversion.

Jim

scott.parker
22-03-05, 01:38 PM
Phil either get your self a nice set like mine,new they can be coastly around ?250-?300 with hubs,or find some secondhand mate.. good idea to stop braking them..infact ask novaneil,and see what he say's(i think hes got some) :wink:

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/1970big3.jpg

Scott

Jonlem
22-03-05, 04:58 PM
jesus! what are you doing to break them shafts like that ! I thought they were Courtenay tapered shafts from how they have snapped.

I had a 300bhp let nova on gte shafts and they would withstand full throttle second gear launches, i just hope mine on my xe last better than yours.

Out of interest how low have you got your car? that usually a cause to them breaking,

the cossvaux shafts are good,haven't seen any of them break yet, neither have I seen any Mann Transmissions shafts break either, there strong as.

sorry to hear you had such a unlucky day at the pod, did u see anything put in in any good times, 14.3 for you seems good, what u done to it ?

Chris
22-03-05, 05:05 PM
I snapped some MANN transmission tapered ones. I know of somebody running 200bhp through GTE shafts on 17" wheels, he has been in the high 13's IIRC and not snapped a shaft yet. Unlucky anyway mate

Chris

scott.parker
22-03-05, 05:34 PM
Mine in that pic are cossvaux ones,thats the conversion kit i got,they seam to be of very high qulity,but you never know..

scott

Ian
22-03-05, 05:39 PM
the tapered ones from mann are the same as the tapered from courtenay and they snap easily, ive done two.

if you are snapping gte ones u will need heavy duty ones and diff hubs really.

Stuart
22-03-05, 05:51 PM
i think ill get some heavy duty ones for the 1.2 as i dont want that to go snapping shafts!!!!!

benji
22-03-05, 06:16 PM
it's problably somthing to do with how low phils is running

Jonlem
22-03-05, 06:19 PM
I was referring to proper Mann shafts, not crappy tapered ones,

dont know of anyone breaking his proper shafts

Philsutton
22-03-05, 07:12 PM
well it is as low as it will go at the front on the coilovers. I dont know of many other people snapping gte shafts like i do, i just have really bad look with novas. Might have to save up some money then by looks of it.

I also found out why i lost all drive again monday night, 200 yards down the road an destroyed the cv joint, its all done again so hopefully it will last a bit longer.

Snowface
22-03-05, 11:34 PM
must be the weight of the 2 extra doors! :lol:

Dan
22-03-05, 11:52 PM
I wouldnt say it was due to how low he runs tbh. Chris T has never broken a shaft and he ran his as low as would be allowed for years with constant abuse and big power backing it up, and we all know he's to tight to purchase proper ones lmao :lol: :lol: .

justnovas
23-03-05, 10:24 AM
Phil you have only snapped 2 shafts now the 1st was a new made up by some crap make.
The 2nd 1 was a gte shaft and you are the only one to snap one as I know and I have sold LOADS.
Just unlucky mate like you know I have run them shafts down pod for years on turbos and novas with just as much power as yours...
Phil has always got to be the 1st at doing thinks
What would you pay for a day at pod in a 20l 16v nova/corsa pod only race car??????????
all you have to do is turn up and race.....

justnovas
23-03-05, 10:33 AM
So where are the pics bens mates took down the pod????

ESXrugbyplaya17
23-03-05, 12:01 PM
sori cant resist but u bin well and truly shafted hehehe :lol:

benji
23-03-05, 07:05 PM
bens mate?? as in my mate? or a different ben? i know one of my mate was there but i havn't spoken to him since

kevster
23-03-05, 07:45 PM
i think ill get some heavy duty ones for the 1.2 as i dont want that to go snapping shafts!!!!!

pmsl :lol:

justnovas
23-03-05, 07:56 PM
Ben as in skud52 drives weggy

benji
23-03-05, 08:02 PM
ahh

Philsutton
27-03-05, 06:58 PM
been looking at those coss vaux ones an i remember a car coming to justnovas that had the same ones but it broke the hub itself in half. So i dont really want to go near them. Any ideas of any others that might be up to the job

scott.parker
27-03-05, 07:06 PM
been looking at those coss vaux ones an i remember a car coming to justnovas that had the same ones but it broke the hub itself in half. So i dont really want to go near them. Any ideas of any others that might be up to the job

Was it the hubs for the shaft,or just a astra/cav one.as the ones that came with mine are lifetime warnty and are ment to be tested to over 400bhp..

Scott

Philsutton
27-03-05, 07:10 PM
no it was the hubs you get in the kit, the shafts didnt break though lol. If they are meant to be unbreakable and have a life time waranty it might be worth it, just so i can get another free set when i break them. Plus what cv joints do you use with them, says you need biggers ones?

scott.parker
27-03-05, 07:13 PM
no it was the hubs you get in the kit, the shafts didnt break though lol. If they are meant to be unbreakable and have a life time waranty it might be worth it, just so i can get another free set when i break them. Plus what cv joints do you use with them, says you need biggers ones?

Well mines just running on cav/astra iner outers,i would think they mean bigger as in bigger then standard GTE/GSi etc?

Scott

dabow
28-03-05, 11:24 AM
well it gets better, ive put it all back together thinking it was all good an working. Got 200 yards down the road an ive lost all drive again ffs i hate novas.

Dont thrash it off the line!

Thats the whole idea of it, if i was gonna drive like a pansy i would have a soft top.
Seriously thinking of getting rid as i cant go one week with something fcuking up.

i'll tell you what, take that box off ya car. ya see when you power off, the shortest side takes the power, the other side dont. its up to you. + next time i see ya . remember you said 'i hate novas' thay always fuck up :twisted:

Dan
28-03-05, 11:27 AM
Please, if you are here just to start fights it wont last very long as myself and others are watching.

*first official warning after 3 posts of twaddle*

i only bother giving 2 ;)

justnovas
29-03-05, 11:03 PM
Are you starting again Dave.
Why not come to pod one day and we can end it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Philsutton
29-03-05, 11:05 PM
i know i keep telling him but, he's into his smooth over weight corsa. Its not about the speed lol

justnovas
29-03-05, 11:13 PM
What about a night at J27 ?????
with out the fuzz
:)

skud52
30-03-05, 08:08 PM
i think paul wants to be a boy racer again:P

dabow
30-03-05, 09:10 PM
ner, phil now's im only prating about. besides i was wondering how long it would take to get on every ones nerves. im always bigging phils car up any way. but down to the point, i do still think its becouse of his box, why that shaft snaped. have you thought of trying to use the system off the cav. with a second joint bolted on the back of the engine. and can i get it strait..... I DONT HATE NOVAS.....im after another one for track, posabley another gte....

justnovas
31-03-05, 08:18 PM
Dave I would go for a nova you can put a turbo in and keep your corsa for shows. but as you know my next pod car will be a corsa b (if I get it done) :lol:

Philsutton
01-04-05, 10:34 PM
the fun continues, looks like the head gasket has gone good an proper now, either that or the head has gone porous. Dont you just love novas

dabow
01-04-05, 10:59 PM
phil, it'snot your looky day is it. ya car was fine earlyer. what was ya racing this time, it's not a april fools is it :(

Philsutton
01-04-05, 11:01 PM
wasnt racing anything, its just shit. I can guess what im doing next week

dabow
01-04-05, 11:05 PM
:lol: :lol: need any help, i can then check ya v8. + what makes ya think it the head gascit. do a conpretion test...

Philsutton
01-04-05, 11:08 PM
all i can say is there is some form of loverly brown jelly in the header tank lol, i think you need to come an see the V8 sometime. If its only to see all the filler ive cut out that you put in.

dabow
01-04-05, 11:18 PM
hay it was fiberglass, what this jelly like. if your heads gon purus. you would have preclely oil bits, if theres a mass of oil. then yap... the gascits gone. ... have ya kept althe filler then. :roll: 0X i still want to see the v8.

justnovas
02-04-05, 08:10 PM
Can I come and look at V8 Please..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave can see what you have done to his lovely car.

dabow
03-04-05, 06:11 PM
no ya carn't. dont be so jelas. i am interestard to whats happend to the gte. :lol: :lol: :lol:

why dont ya make ya self one.... get the other two done . more room then..... well :P

justnovas
05-04-05, 09:22 AM
so have you got that v8 done yet???????????
With dave helping it sould be on the road now... :D :D

Philsutton
05-04-05, 12:35 PM
no its not done yet, its no where near done. But i bet it makes it to pod before your 4x4 corsa :D

dabow
05-04-05, 04:39 PM
now, now boys. we'll have less of that.

justnovas
07-04-05, 09:12 AM
Why have you built that track nova yet???

dabow
09-04-05, 09:03 AM
Why have you built that track nova yet???

no but my jeeps nearly done, next the nova...ive still got that 1.2 corsa to do. all i need is that cam off ya, still pricing the nova up. 4x4 done yet 8)