PDA

View Full Version : Need help again - clutch/gearbox

PE4
21-03-05, 06:27 PM
Hi,

My nova now runs :) but when idling there is a knocking/ticking noise coming from the clutch/gearbox area. The 'box' worked fine on the old engine so I am pretty sure it is the clutch, but what would cause the noise?

The noise goes away with the clutch pedal depressed.

Steve

PS, The clutch pedal has to come up all the way nearly for it to bit, is it safe to assume it is pretty worn out?

novaboyopr
21-03-05, 06:29 PM
it is probally your release bearing on the springs on the cluth plate worn if it goes when the pedal is depressed it is release bearing

Adam
21-03-05, 06:34 PM
If its the release bearing then the noise would be when the clutch was pressed in,
if you have the noise when the clutch is fully released then its probably the input shaft bearing on the gearbox.

PE4
21-03-05, 06:56 PM
okay then, so this input shaft bearing, could something of happened to it when I was 'persuading' the input shaft back to where it should be?

When I fitted the engine the gearbox was still in place, so I pulled the input shaft out a bit, and then with the engine bolted to the box I pushed the input shaft in (with the clutch pedal down) and then fitted the spring clip that holds it in place.

Steve