PDA

View Full Version : Removing vauxhall locking nuts without key?

Nova-DP
21-03-05, 11:10 AM
No im not a thief!!

Ive gone to remove my wheels but cant find the key for the locking wheels nuts. They are the standard vauxhall ones.

Does any one have any ideas about make shift tools or ways to remove them? I have already ruined a few sockets trying but have had no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank You

Dom

chimp007_uk
21-03-05, 11:15 AM
haha, i know the feeling. i lost mine and it was a right pain in the ass. u can either buy a kit to do it, or get some ome old sockets and knock one onto the locking bolt with a hammer, that is slightly smaller than the head of the bolt. this worked for me. saved me some money with an expensive kit, will take you bout 10mins... and the socket was still in perfect condition afterwards :D

Stuart
21-03-05, 11:56 AM
a nice "iffy" way to get them off is to slacken the other 3 bolts off and then drive about a bit with hard braking and such to slacken off the locking one.

i did day it was iffy and i shant be held responsible for any damage caused lol

Rexy
21-03-05, 12:03 PM
Couple of way's...

Use a socket which is slightly bigger than the nut (make sure its a metric 12 sided jobbie) Lump hammer and alson breker bar. Depending if they have a sleeve on them as well.

Or

Nip to halfords and ask mr parts dude about the locking wheel nut removing tool.

Philsutton
21-03-05, 12:49 PM
ive used a chisel and a hammer before an tapped it round, its a bitch but it will eventually come out.

boredbloke
21-03-05, 12:58 PM
Can't believe how easy it is to buy something thats supposed to keep ur wheels safe!

I would have thought the only way would be to contact vauxhall, probly cost ya a couple of quid though.

Philsutton
21-03-05, 01:04 PM
Nip to halfords and ask mr parts dude about the locking wheel nut removing tool.

i find that quite worrying that the same place that sells glowing exhaust tips also sells locking wheel not key removers.

Rexy
21-03-05, 02:00 PM
Me too phil Me too...

But what can you do matey... I've got mates who work at halfords and they think its a stupid idea as well.

Thing is, To steal 4 wheels is going to take at least what 5 - 10 mins thats to jack the car up wheels off and away you go. That without locking wheel nuts.. add locking wheel nuts wont stop them but it will take a little longer for them to steal your wheels.

A good way Really annoying but Get 4 different type of locking wheel nut's pmsl some are hard to get off others are easy.

dunova
21-03-05, 03:16 PM
A mate of mine has a mk4 golf and last week it was broken into and wheels nicked. He leaves his locking wheel nut key in the car, so they broke in, stole about 1K of ICE and then took his 18" TSW's (cost him almost 1K afew month's ago). He was not a happy chappy, but it's all covered on his insurance.

He also has quite afew 'connections'. I wouldn't like to be the thieves if they are found by these guys..............

Nick
21-03-05, 10:12 PM
lol can you not just do the same as to Rounded-off bolts..

Just weld something onto them and use that to turn it ?

retrosi
21-03-05, 10:47 PM
if its the 3 prong type...any key of the same type will take them off as the prongs are easy to manipulate into place, even if they have different key numbers! Thats why vauxhall stopped making this type around 2000. They replaced the keys with the jagged circle type for which there are still only 4 different types. Most vaux garages have the odd spare kicking around although they probably wont admit it. (forgotten to put back in customers car!) So, they may be able to take this type off. If worst comes to the worst you can drill the head off and then use vice grips on the thread thats left.

Nova-DP
23-03-05, 03:49 PM
Thanks very much for all the replies! Very usefull. Im sure ill have them off at the weekend

Thanks again,
Dom

Nobby
23-03-05, 04:58 PM
lol unlucky m8 get the old drill out!!