PDA

View Full Version : car wouldn't start - pushstarted in 2nd gear, elec died

Psych-O-Logic
19-03-05, 09:08 AM
hey.
got stuck with the car, i got it push started in 2nd gear and the engine didn't die on idle.

but all the electricity was messed up, the wind wipers moved REALLY slow till they didn't move at all, the head and tail lights were dead and nothing worked, or barely worked.

i changed a 10 AMP fuse whe i got home and now the hea dlights work but the car still won't start... :(

Bad batt? alternator dead? something shorcutted and made this problem?

what can it be?

p.s: my car stereo always turned off in the middle of playing C.Ds for the padt week.... till it stopped working completely yesterday when i strated the ride prerior to the one where the engine wouldn't start at all. any ideaS?

m.d.
19-03-05, 10:04 AM
from what you have said about the sterio problem i would look at that first. i know its far off from what you have been having problems with but it may be the problem.

look at the places where you have wired it to. it may have shorted out causing lack of ignition. or a weak spark. by he sound of it the ignition live has shorted out on a part of the chassis of the car.

Psych-O-Logic
19-03-05, 11:23 AM
i took apart the car stereo for now....

i changed the fuse, cable strated the car with my dads car and let the engine run for 15 min

nhow the batt is charged... i turned on the signal lights, head lights, wipers rear wi[ers and everything at once and it was ok.
i took a ride arond town, stopped the engine then started it and it's all good.

i also checked with a volt meter the battery and it shows 12V
when the car runs it shows 12.85V

so the alternator is cool i guess...

thanks guys.

m.d.
19-03-05, 07:05 PM
so it was the sterio then. that was lucky. its really hard to try to diagnose a problem over the net without seeing the car, and especially one as obscure as this. :D (chuffed grin)

*novadose*
19-03-05, 08:12 PM
Smug git :roll:

m.d.
19-03-05, 11:43 PM
8) yup and proud lol

Aragorn
20-03-05, 10:45 PM
12.85 isnt a working alternator

should be well over 13.5

check the alternator bulb in the dash and the belt tightness