PDA

View Full Version : alternators?

ade
19-03-05, 01:55 AM
Is the GTE/GSi alternator bigger (as in more power) compared to the standard lowewr model (ie 1.2) ones?

Just wondering whether I need to get the bigger one for my upgrade?

Ade

Aragorn
19-03-05, 02:05 AM
it might have been higher current but its not required

im running the 16v off a 1.2i alternator that puts out 55A after the 70A one that came with the 16v started playing funny buggers

doge5644_uk
21-03-05, 08:00 AM
So your running a C20XE with the 1.2i alternator and its working fine? :?:

:)

Aragorn
21-03-05, 10:30 AM
no im running a 16xe with a 1.2i alternator

but 20xe would also work fine assuming the alternator mountings are the same on the 20xe

Ojc
21-03-05, 02:25 PM
it might have been higher current but its not required

im running the 16v off a 1.2i alternator that puts out 55A after the 70A one that came with the 16v started playing funny buggers

Intresting, very intresting. When I had my X16XE fitted I was using the 70A Corsa one and after about 3000 miles it buggered up, everytime I put my foot down all the lights got brighter, the fuel pump got louder etc.

Fitted the 55A one off a 1.2 8v Corsa engine and its been fine since.

Strange.

Aragorn
21-03-05, 11:36 PM
mine was doing the opposite

i had a polyvee pulley on it and it was fine - but kept catching chassis leg

i swapped the pulley on the alternator for a vbelt one and from that day onwards it never charged properly, would be fine with no load but as soon as a few electrical things went on the battery guage would drop down to 12v

i fitted the 1.2i alt which did the same to begin with and i realised i wasnt tightening the belt enough (which meant the original alternator was probably fine) but since i had to change the bottom mounting for the 1.2i alternator i just left it on. the corsa 70a jobbie is sitting in my hallway, im gonna get a new bush/regulator module for it if i can find one as the old brush unit is quite worn then refit it when i remove the engine next month...

since the 1.2i one has been catching on my belt cover and the belt seems to run at an angle (probably due to the new alternator not being spaced out the width of the crank sensor teeth) and it squeeks all the time (not slipping just a swish swish swish noise at low revs)

Alex
22-03-05, 01:49 PM
Ade - If you do change it, go for the Bosch one, not the Delco-Remy. The Bosch ones are far more reliable and you can service it (change the brushes - the main cause of failure) yourself easily.