PDA

View Full Version : Tank vent pipe

Aragorn
17-03-05, 11:12 PM
i appear to have fuel leaking from the small diameter vent hose that runs along the length of the tank and seems to connect to nothing at the passenger side of the car

if i go round a right hand bend /roundabout with full tank of fuel it actually pours out of that hose

any ideas why?

burgo
17-03-05, 11:13 PM
thats just the overflow pipe, simple answer is dont fill it as much

Stuart
17-03-05, 11:57 PM
wasnt aware fuel tanks had overflows lol

a tad dangerous wouldnt you think!?!?

Riggy
17-03-05, 11:59 PM
i always thought it was the vent pipe so air can replace the used fuel :?:

as thats what i think i have a blockage in on mine as i juggers after about 20 min on m way over 80 ish :(

burgo
18-03-05, 12:18 AM
over flow, vent pipe call it what you want lol

-Bruce-
18-03-05, 07:39 AM
Cant you get a new length of pipe, that is longer than the std one. And fit it so the blank end that conects to nothing is higher up than the top of the tank. This will mean no petrol will come out.

I remember on my 205 gti the vent pipe was at the top of the arch!!

Bruce

Aragorn
18-03-05, 09:47 AM
hrm might be able to extend it i suppose - on 1.2i's it runs the length of the car to the active carbon canister but still if its open ended fuel could come out on cornering etc

i wonder if i could install a 1 way valve? so air can be sucked in like its supposed to but fuel cant flow out?

finding a 1 way valve thats fuelsafe might be tricky

Aragorn
19-03-05, 02:11 AM
i just cant work out why it could just start leaking after i fitted the new tank/pump setup?

im guessing the negative pressure caused by the using of fuel would normally ensure that any fuel that got into the pipe would get sucked back into the tank again

maybe i have another issue at hand, like maybe the pump isnt sealed properly so the air can be sucked in at the top meaning no vacuum on the vent hose?

the car generally reeks of petrol when the tank is full, especially if u are driving with the window open then stop at some lights or similar, think it needs some more investigation...

burgo
19-03-05, 10:30 PM
good luck :wink: