PDA

View Full Version : sussies....

sickrabbit
17-03-05, 08:46 PM
just got some P1 suspenders kit off ebay....they dont need any other tooling other than those to remove the old as the p1s have come straight off a nova...I asked for help on fitting the other and was told DONT FIT EM!! on reply i was informed not to prat around with suspension ( even moreso if its second hand ) for reasons of safety ( braking) and camber .
Please ( i,m new to motors ) is this right ?? and what should i be looking for in means of problems if i fit em ??

many thanks :oops:

Dod
17-03-05, 08:51 PM
by right you should have seen them first, they may be knackedred but the only way to see now if they are or not is to fit them and test them. Take the car for a run and see what you think. Its not a huge job to fit them, or refit the old ones so give it a shot. Let us know how you got on.

ANDYRACER
17-03-05, 09:09 PM
It sounds like ur mate is the one with no knowledge fit them the things u should look out for is to check the springs for cracks and push the damper down and make sure it springs up again. If this is all fine fit them its not a hard job and can be done in about an hour.

Riggy
17-03-05, 09:12 PM
also check for oil leaks from the shocks

Stuart
17-03-05, 09:32 PM
not all shock absorbers are designed to "rebound" naturally so the push the shock in and see that it comes back by itself is a bit of a void test

ANDYRACER
17-03-05, 09:44 PM
not all shock absorbers are designed to "rebound" naturally so the push the shock in and see that it comes back by itself is a bit of a void test

Ahh right u learn something new everyday. :D

Nick
17-03-05, 10:19 PM
it depends on what type of damping they have...

When fitting, you'l need a Swam Neck/ Cranked Ring Spanner to remove the top-mounts from your old shocks...

You'l also need some spring compressors, and in the wrong hands you could get some serious injuries...

burgo
17-03-05, 10:26 PM
it depends on what type of damping they have...

When fitting, you'l need a Swan Neck/ Cranked Ring Spanner to remove the top-mounts from your old shocks...

You'l also need some spring compressors, and in the wrong hands you could get some serious injuries...plus i find a socket with an impact gun soon gets the top nut undone

Nick
17-03-05, 10:34 PM
oh yer, you and your little "snap-on" beast....

impact screwdrivers are usefull.... but not for shocks lol

sickrabbit
17-03-05, 10:44 PM
fellas, these shocks come already assembled - springs are already on the sussie fronts - the rears ( springs ) from what i can see in the picture - has some paint missing on the spring itself - is this the norm due to compression ?? the guy who sold them to me assured me of the products state - good....?? Also the drop is 30mm - my wheels are 15 inchers - I,m concerned about camber ....

burgo
17-03-05, 10:45 PM
i do at least one shock a week, i clamp the shock in a vise, then put the spring compressor on, wiz that down with the air gun, then undo the top nut with the air gun i can change a spring in about 3 mins lol

Nick
17-03-05, 10:52 PM
fellas, these shocks come already assembled - springs are already on the sussie fronts - the rears ( springs ) from what i can see in the picture - has some paint missing on the spring itself - is this the norm due to compression ?? the guy who sold them to me assured me of the products state - good....?? Also the drop is 30mm - my wheels are 15 inchers - I,m concerned about camber ....
what is the chaps name ?

i know of someone selling PI -30mm shocks

sickrabbit
17-03-05, 11:02 PM
micheal bellis ?? ebay mikeybzizi1984 ??

ANDYRACER
17-03-05, 11:33 PM
Ive taken that many suspension kits on and off my novas and can replace them all in under half an hour and thats without an air gun. Nova setup is by far one of the easiest suspension setups ever made. :D