PDA

View Full Version : engine removal

chappers1.3
17-03-05, 01:38 PM
whats the best way to take a 2ltr 8v out of ya nova??

with the box attached or leave the box? and shoutld i try and get it out of the top or drop it??

cheers

Chris
17-03-05, 02:12 PM
I always take them out from the top, lift it from the cam belt end so the engine/box comes out on an angle and it is easy to do it without scratching

Chris

ANDYRACER
17-03-05, 02:16 PM
Another way would be to remove the front bumper jack the front end up very high and drop the engine out from underneath on to a trolley jack. And u r probably best disconnecting the gearbox. The way i suggested is really for people who don't have a engine lift.

Chris
17-03-05, 02:49 PM
for what it will cost you to buy a jack which goes high enough you could buy a hydraulic engine lift, and much safer

chappers1.3
17-03-05, 03:12 PM
i'm borrowing a lift of a friend, so will try taking it out from the top.

i take it i should undo the gearbox mounts last??? how long do u think it'll take to get it out.... everything is still connected up like... pipes and whatnot.

cheers

Philsutton
17-03-05, 03:49 PM
ive always taken it out the bottom, ive got a big engine crane so lifting the car high enough isnt a problem.

Snowface
17-03-05, 04:32 PM
i'd say top as thats what i did with a crane. Not sure about box. i used same one. Is it easier to put the box in/out first then but block in?

chappers1.3
18-03-05, 08:52 AM
from looking at the clearence i dont think i can seperate the box from the engine first. think its just gonna be a trial and eror thing.... lol!

i'll let u know how it goes!

cheers guys

Aragorn
18-03-05, 09:49 AM
u wont get a 2.0 out the top easily

drop it out the bottom and its much less risk damaging paintwork etc

chappers1.3
22-03-05, 05:16 PM
there aint a chance in hell u can get it out of the top without some serious engine crane... had to take off the anti roll bar and tie rods to get it out.

had to lift the car over the engine to get it from underneath.... cant wait to put the baby back in.... NOT!