PDA

View Full Version : paint mix-up

mikey14sr
16-03-05, 07:38 PM
according to the plates on the slam panel, my sr is 79L/547 which comes up as flame red on the color charts in all the local motor factors. But, i tried a bit on the rear arch and it was way too bright compared to the 'c' pillar which has been freshly compounded, so a mate suggested trying carmine red as he had the same prob on an sr he used to have and surprisingly it is a much better match.
The paint code on plates is right, as according to the epc it's a 1990 model, and so should be flame, as carmine was only used up to 1989

-tucny-
16-03-05, 08:44 PM
you say you tried a bit on your rear arch, did you apply this directly over the existing paint or did you prime a section? if you did prime a section you may have used the wrong colour primer as this can affect the final shade. its always possible that the existing paint has been affected quite badly by the sun - deeper than the area that has been compounded. try taking abit more off and checking that shade.

mikey14sr
16-03-05, 08:58 PM
the car was origionally sprayed over a white primer, which is what i've done, might try flame over red primer in the same area so that i get all the options together next to the origonal paint. 'tis a pain in the a**e really, the mk3 astra im running is flame, and i went through about 10 different shades of flame red before i got it right!!!

ANDYRACER
17-03-05, 07:49 PM
Dont go off the vauxhall paint booklets it said my sr which was a 91 h reg in porto blue should have been made in 1992.

mikey14sr
18-03-05, 07:56 PM
was nice and sunny today, had a long look at the paint, the carmine's just a bit too dark, so i'll have to go see the local paint mixers, trouble is, i only need one spray can to match up, and the minimum they'll mix is three at a cost of ?21! :(

ade
19-03-05, 12:48 AM
dont forget your paint will have faded considerably since manufacture.

The chances are the new paint is right - your cars just faded to about 5 shades lighter (pinker).

If its a smallish area, you can buy "aged" (shaded) paint fron Vauxhall.

Ade

Matt2107
19-03-05, 10:45 AM
Time to get the T-cut out i think.

mikey14sr
19-03-05, 08:03 PM
i'll post a pic up tomorrow

johnny27
19-03-05, 09:59 PM
might sound abit obivous but when the other paint has been buffed with compound it really will look alot different to fresh paint that has'nt been polished

Nobby
19-03-05, 10:06 PM
wew dude i wrk in halfords just pop into ure local 1 and get them to make u the paint up ?9.99 dont go off the actual colour cus it wont look right best to use red primer or yellow!! :D

johnny27
19-03-05, 10:11 PM
it might be possible that your orginal paint works has been lacqured, if so it appears a fair bit darker compared to new paint work. Plus it could be as simple as the new paint you got and your orginal paint, could be badly mixed, in which case get one as close as possible and blow in the new part your spraying.

C-S_Cormac
19-03-05, 11:37 PM
79L is deff flame red anyways, bear in mind that it takes newly sprayed paint a few days/weeks to dull done it dnt always stay the brightness that its painted...

The fact that ur paint work could be faded could be the problem too..

mikey14sr
20-03-05, 11:48 AM
ah well sod it, off to get 2.5 litres of polar white!