PDA

View Full Version : discs or drums on the rear

jamie gsi16v
16-03-05, 03:24 PM
i have got the choice to put discs or vented drums on the rear what do you lot reakon and what advantages and disadvantages would i get?

Stuart
16-03-05, 04:00 PM
vented drums?!?!?! wtf lol are they the spira groove jobbies?

tbh unless your on track a lot there is no need to go to discs as the front does the majoroty of the work for you.

Dar
16-03-05, 11:13 PM
I would go for discs not because of the performance, because like cambridge says you don't need it. But just for the ease of maintance. I currenly have drums on the rear of mine and they perform fine. But I would like discs so that I can inspect and change them easier. I always find drums a pain to deal with.

MC
17-03-05, 12:16 AM
Standard drums are more than adequate for any use.

MC

polly
17-03-05, 03:10 PM
drums are the only way to go on the rear
drums have a way better handbrake than discs lol

matt_densham
17-03-05, 06:15 PM
Yeah but drums look like a pile of poo

Stuart
17-03-05, 06:52 PM
if it aint broke dont fix it

why go to all the expense and PITA of a disc conversion just to "make it look nice" lmao

Snowface
17-03-05, 07:07 PM
unfortunatly there are some people who go to great expense to make there car's look 'nice'.

These people are often people who go to the expense of replacing perfectly good washer jets with Neon ones lol.

Dod
17-03-05, 08:08 PM
You could just bolt on bigger drums, there was a St Paddy's day parade over here today and a few bands are on the lash tonight so i could get some drums off them if you like. Stick a screw driver through them and thats them ventilated and all. Ventilated drums..... :roll:

Riggy
17-03-05, 09:20 PM
as said the drums are good enough for the job - but i will be fitting discs to my XE both for performance and looks :lol:

just dont forget to change the valve in the master cylinder to a 4/30 is it ?

ANDYRACER
17-03-05, 09:42 PM
If ur really desperate for rear discs u could buy them fake drum covers that look like discs. :lol:

Aragorn
19-03-05, 02:15 AM
theres not just the look nice factor

disks do not get out of adjustment

drums do becuase the auto adjusters are shite and never work properly

u fit disks and u will have a nice firm pedal and it will stay like that, it wont be soggy 4 weeks after youve adjusted it

i would say that fitting disks isnt just a styling mod, the work better than drums and even if you ARE having to bias them right down so they arent putting any more braking force down they are still gonna provide a better experiance than drums

if u dont believe me go ask folk on mig whove fitted drums to astras or cavs or whatever, a few folk will say its improved braking performance, all of them will say its improved feel and made the car nicer to drive

scoobyturbo
19-03-05, 04:03 AM
i wouldnt put discs on the rear cos only 20% goes to the rear so unless you are a crap driver save your money

m.d.
19-03-05, 10:01 AM
fair enough saying that its pointless on the rear of a nova, but is it just a nova that cant have rear discs because its pointless. because every other fast be it competition car or (very) fast road car has rear discs, from r5 turbos and 106 gtis right to 6r4s and allike.

every high performance car has rear discs, so what makes novas so different. and dont say the wight as thats simply not true, a good comparison is a 205 hill climb car that i watch occasionally. it has massive willwood rear discs and 300mm front 6 pots. it weighs much less than a nova and has to be the best stopping car ive ever seen......

i WILL be putting rear discs on mine not just for looks. :wink:

C-S_Cormac
19-03-05, 11:43 PM
I put discs on the rear of my astra td which made a hell of a difference,

Id say it would make a good improvement on the nova, which handbrake cable would you use tho???

MC
20-03-05, 09:47 PM
Ther are a lot of people here talking theories and what they have seen.

I talk from the experience of using rear discs and rear drums of varying types on track in stripped out Novas. I have also never had trouble with rear drums as I set them right first time. I personally would not bother with rear discs unless you are really serious and you have in car adjustable bias to adjust for varying surfaces at different corners.

MC

Stuart
21-03-05, 07:51 AM
ive never had issues with the autoadjusters on the drums. I guess its down to the person that set them up in the first place.

ive heard of people that rally, greasing up the rear discs to give much much less braking force even with the bias valve.