PDA

View Full Version : GTE engine trouble

snypa
16-03-05, 07:53 AM
Right im having some confusing GTE engine problems... My car has been sitting in the entry for bout 2 months, but was started on a regular basis, went to start yesterday and it cranks but then seems to fire and die out straight away, or takes ages to even fire up atall then cuts oput straight away. I checked all spark plugs and all have fairly good sparks, Checked HT leads and all seem fine then i checked the dizzy and noticed the rotar arm is fairly loose on its spline (feels as if the arm may be loose enough to alip weh engine is turned over) has anyone ever encountered this problem before? Its just confusing how with all plugs out but connected to the leads, dizzy seems to spark them all ok!? one minute it starts perfect every time, then all of a sudden i have this problem! Any help much appreciated as project is now finished and ready to go! thanks alot lads

Will F
16-03-05, 10:00 AM
I reckon its th efuel pump relay.
Either that or the pump iself has seized/broken tdue to lack of use.

Common problem.

snypa
16-03-05, 02:09 PM
cheers mate is the process of changing the fuel pump hard on the GTE engine? Could it also be possible that im 180 degrees out on the ignition timing as i turned the engine over by hand untill the rotar spline was in the correct position for cylinder 1, with all HT leads in the correct firing order. Jst a thought before i go buying a fuel pump and try to fit it. I work on landrovers and fuel pump changes tend to be a pain in the arse with all the instrumentation in the way. thanks for the help aswell mate appreciated

Will F
17-03-05, 09:23 AM
Just test the pump/relay before you go changing it!
Easy way would be to spilt the fuel feed pipe and buzz the pump (turn the ignition on a few times) and see if any fuel sprays from the fuel pipe.

You shoulsd be able to hear the pump buzz when you put the ign on.