PDA

View Full Version : front speakers

novafling
14-03-05, 05:37 PM
hey people. i need some help. i wanna change my front speakers, as i only have factory ones in there at the mo, but i cant get at the right dashboard speaker. how can i get to it so i can change it? either that or any other front speaker ideas ould be great!!!
cheers people.

Cassie-Nova
14-03-05, 06:39 PM
I considered putting speakers in there, under the dash. But fancied some thing a bit meatier and fitted a set of 5" 180w speakers in the doors.

Hardest thing was getting the spring clip off to remove the window winders! Definatley worth it though!

I'll post a piccy so you can see what it looks like once i get some batterys for the camera!

Jim

epo
14-03-05, 06:58 PM
is yours a mk1 mate

heres where i put mine in the doors

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/epo_sri/speaker_pics_002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/epo_sri/speaker_pics_003.jpg

ANDYRACER
14-03-05, 11:54 PM
I found with a bit of cutting to the door u can get 6 by 9 in the same place as where epo has his. :wink:

Ricks
15-03-05, 01:26 AM
i dont think it wud look right having 6*9s in the doors

novafling
15-03-05, 11:01 AM
thats just the thing that pi55es me off!! i dont have electric windows, and yeh, mines a mk1, with sr door cards.

Cassie-Nova
15-03-05, 06:13 PM
Heya mate,

yeh but i dont have electric windows. wont the winders get in the way? plus where do you feed the wire? through the inside of the door? near the hinges?

I don't have electric speakers in my car neither. I originally bought the speakers, intending on fitting them in the rear quarters but realised i had bought speakers that were way too big!

Originally the window winders were too big yes but once you get em off you can worry about that. I fitted the speakers before realising that they wouldn't be able to turn once the speakers were in!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Ganglyjim/PICT0058.jpg

What i did was pretty simple - took cut the winders down by about 3 quarters of an inch and fitted some cupboard door knobs onto what was left of the winders! Not as bad as it sounds!

I drilled a small hole in the side of the door, near where the speaker went so i could feed my wire through. Took a while to drill. Then fed the wire under the rubber surround thing, in which the sensor for the inside light sits. Leave enough slack, obviously. The rubber surround should protect the wire from any rubbing biting at the wire- ive had no trouble yet!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Ganglyjim/PICT0057.jpg

Final outcome -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Ganglyjim/PICT0055.jpg

I am currently tarting around with the engine but will be fitting electric windows eventually! Got some new glass on way so may do it then!

Hope this helps,

Jim

sickrabbit
15-03-05, 06:39 PM
nice job mate - that handle looks the dogs blx !! I,ve got a pair of those speakers your displaying to fit myself ( 150 watters ) are they any good ?? I dont mean to be so ignorant but i got em off ebay for 30 bucks , theyre 4 inchers and i think i may put em in the original locations , or would they sound better in the door panels .??
cheers oz .

Jack
15-03-05, 06:41 PM
I don't have electric speakers in my car neither.
So how do your speakers work then Jim if they're not electrically powered?

:lol: :wink:

epo
15-03-05, 07:42 PM
I don't have electric speakers in my car neither.

:lol: :wink:

obviously like a grammaphone wind the window winders and the speakers work :lol:

ANDYRACER
15-03-05, 10:04 PM
[quote=Cassie-Nova]I don't have electric speakers in my car neither.

:lol: :wink:[/quote/]
u could have put them at the end of the doors they fit there me and my bro fitted them there.

obviously like a grammaphone wind the window winders and the speakers work :lol:

lol

Cassie-Nova
15-03-05, 10:33 PM
As Epo said, the sound station is powered via the window winders, whilst i had them off i thought i would try and conserve some power.......next thing on the list is to run the head lights on cold baked beans! ;)

The speakers are pretty good, was given to me from a mate who bought them a while back and never got round to fitting them.

As for whether or not to fit em under the dash or the doorcards; it sounded to difficult to take out the mk1 dash to fit some "small" front speakers, and they wouldn't be on show so.....i guess its all about preference.....

novafling
15-03-05, 10:48 PM
cheers to cassie-nova. will get my thinking cap on again! do the knobs on the window winders turn? or are they stuck solid in place?

Cassie-Nova
16-03-05, 12:02 AM
They work perfectly, all that i have changed on them is the length and the winder knob. If you fancy something flashy and have a bit of spare time i think its more than worth it! I'll have to take the door card of again soon and take some photos of what i did to the door itself for future reference!

Hope this al helps, shout me with any Q's!

Jim

epo
16-03-05, 05:02 PM
As Epo said, the sound station is powered via the window winders, whilst i had them off i thought i would try and conserve some power.......next thing on the list is to run the head lights on cold baked beans! ;)

The speakers are pretty good, was given to me from a mate who bought them a while back and never got round to fitting them.

As for whether or not to fit em under the dash or the doorcards; it sounded to difficult to take out the mk1 dash to fit some "small" front speakers, and they wouldn't be on show so.....i guess its all about preference.....

flinstone style cars are where its at :lol:

Cassie-Nova
16-03-05, 05:50 PM
lol, funnily enough Epo i do have a small whole in the floor beneath the floor mats, passenger side rear...... :)

Need to get a grommet to replace the missing one :)

epo
16-03-05, 06:34 PM
:lol: :lol:

Mitchybee
02-04-05, 04:04 PM
What i did was pretty simple - took cut the winders down by about 3 quarters of an inch and fitted some cupboard door knobs onto what was left of the winders! Not as bad as it sounds!

How did you attatch the door knob to the window winder? did you use a self trapper? or glue it?

Cassie-Nova
02-04-05, 06:49 PM
good question, can't full remember now.....I will find take one of in the morning and have a look n take a photo if you want?

epo
02-04-05, 08:26 PM
good question, can't full remember now.....I will find take one of in the morning and have a look n take a photo if you want?

most knobs have a threaded bar in them so i would have thought they would have been attached via a nut

Mitchybee
04-04-05, 01:11 AM
Just find out for me matey, as i have done what you have done, just need a nob for the winder

boredbloke
04-04-05, 08:46 AM

I done both! 4" on the shelf under the dash built in to it's own little box and 5" in the door cards the sounds are much better as if ound my 6x9's in the back seemed to be drowning out the sound in the front.

Cassie-Nova
04-04-05, 05:30 PM
Heres a piccy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Cassie-Nova/PICT0058.jpg

Lost me springclip in the process! :( Any ideas on where i can get a new one from? I seem to remember buying the knobs and using the bolts that come with em, just drilled a hole slightly smaller than the bolt/screw and it worked a treat!

Take a piccy n show us what your dorr/speakers looks like once done Mitchy!

boredbloke
04-04-05, 09:32 PM
pmsl!

i've lpat my clip too so any help would be appreciated there ppl!

mitchybee make sure the screw u get doesn't have the tread all the way to the head of it, this way it won't catch,

mine fitted in without any mods at all... :D

Mitchybee
05-04-05, 04:30 PM
mitchybee make sure the screw u get doesn't have the tread all the way to the head of it, this way it won't catch,

youve lost me mate? make sure the thread doesnt go all the way to where? and why

Ive lost one of my spring thingys, its just put on at the moment, gunna go to the scrappy and get one me things...

Also, cassie nova, where did you get black door handles from? GSi?

Cassie-Nova
05-04-05, 06:52 PM
nah mate, they were just standard in me car - the dash is brown though so swings and round-a-bouts ;) I suppose a quick rub/clean down n a spray n you could spray the door handles black?