PDA

View Full Version : Word of Warning (CIS Insurance)

Jim
17-05-02, 09:36 AM
From what I've heard theres quite a few of us that use CIS motor insurance. I wanted to warn you all, that theres a slight flaw in there excellent quotes...

I had a policy with CIS from April 2001 to April 2002. In the weeks up to my renewal I expected to recieve a letter from CIS asking if I would like to renew my quote with them (like I have done from all other insurance companies), however, this letter never came, so I assumed that my policy with them was terminated (as it said it ran out on 3rd April 2002 on the Policy). I went to another Insurance company and have been happily paying my monthly payments with them.

I recieved a bank statement this morning and I noticed that CIS were still taking cash out of my account. It turns out that they were charging me for insurance even though;

a) I hadn't recieved a letter asking if I wanted to renew my policy
b) I hadn't recieved a letter telling me my policy was over
c) I hadn't agreed to this continuation of payment

Fortunatley they were very understanding on the phone and I should get my cash back with a couple of weeks.

I'm lucky that my insurance isn't that high, but some of us (especially younger drivers) might be paying twice as much as me a month, and having 2 sets of payments coming out could really hurt the wallet.

Keep your eyes on your bank statements at renewal time.

Jim

Damian Coull
17-05-02, 10:08 AM
I had the same thing happen to me exactly ! I had a policy with CIS on my 1.4sr, CIS quoted me stupid money on the 2.0l conversion so I waited till my policy expred, did the conversion and insured with Adrian Flux. I noticed the following month that I was nearly ?100 short, so I checked with the bank and CIS had taken the first months payment on a new 12 month insurance policy.

I phoned them up and went MAD down the phone threatening legal action etc and I got my money back in 3 days.

Useless bastards !

Its not just CIS, you need to pay attention to every little detail with insurance companies, there all blood sucking scum dogs who want to skank you ourt of as much money as possible.

Jim
17-05-02, 10:18 AM
I was gonna threaten to phone Trading Standards, but they were surprisingly helpful on the phone, and they said I'll get my money back, which is what I wanted.

Ian_Gsi16v
17-05-02, 10:28 AM
Thanks to CIS i'm having to drive around in my sisters bag of s**t 1.3sr while my GTE which i've spent the last year working on to get mint sits on the drive. I started my policy with them last august. After putting the money in the bank every month i would check my account and it was still there so i'd fone them up and they would assure me it was there mistake and not to worry about it. I had explained to them that i could not afford a lump sum payment which is why i'm paying extra to pay it over 12 months. They also assured me that as they were not takin the money that they were unable to back date payments and they would start when they FOUND my paperwork. 8 months laster i received a letter demanding over fifteen hundred pound in 10 days becasue i hadnt been paying insurance.

I'm now having to pay 12 months of insurance in 3 months. Not easy when ur in college working part time, plus i still need insurance for a car because i work as a delivery driver as my job.

My mum was seriously considering going to watchdog over it all :)

adam5
17-05-02, 11:40 AM
yeah but there soooo cheap for new drivers

wisewood
17-05-02, 12:14 PM
I had a similar problem last year.
Insurance payment was over 9 moths from my credit card at about 90 a month.
Policy ended - No letters, no new cover note, nothing...
So i got a new policy with someone else... only to find after 4 months that my credit card was 200 quid over the limit thanks to the insurance taking the payments still.
I phoned thema nd they say there is nothing they can do - in order to cancell a policy i have to send in a cancelation form... which they never recieved as i didn't send one.
I checked my documents from them and sure enough - in very small print it does state that fact...
I asked a legal bloke my mum knows and he says i have no leg to stand on... They say they sent my new cover note... i say i never recieved it... I cannot prove i didn't... so i am out of pocket. BARSTEWARDS!!!

That was with company called "A Quote"...
DO NOT USE THEM!!! THey are horrid horrid people and were very arrogant over the phone with me.

Fester
17-05-02, 12:28 PM
these are all useful comments but it seems to be a service type issue rather than a problem with the policies

i was worried u were gonna say they were nobs for paying out and stuff.

i just paid with a cheque, they havnt got any of my bank details so hopefully i should be fine

Hi officer.
What?
She said she was 16!
NOT AGAIN FFS

Gobby
19-05-02, 04:00 AM
Royal & Sun Alliance did the same with me, I gave my broker a fortnight notice that I was cancelling and never a got a thing about continuing the direct debit, managed to get the bank to recall it though

v1nce
21-05-02, 11:28 AM
im insured with them 2 and havent ahad this problem YET ...

but the thing that was worrying me is the policy on mods ...

ok they dont charge 4 them buy does the policy sky rocket in the second year ???

any1 had a problem ???