PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler on 2ltr nova yes/no

jamie gsi16v
11-03-05, 11:26 AM
hi not long ago i bought a 2ltr 16v nova gte, the bloke gave me a box of spares or should i say a shed full!!! in there was an oil cooler off his cav gsi which he used for the conversion? the car has got good oil pressure etc but i was wondering wether it was worth putting the cooler on and where would i plumb it in and mount it if i was to do this?

scott.parker
11-03-05, 12:37 PM
Well its upto you if you wish to use an oil cooler or not mate,whats the car useed for most,as if it a highly tuned track engine then it might be worth using(also if you dont have cool running stat) as for mounting it,you can mount it in front of the rad,im sure in this section of the forum there is a pic of it done,and you need to use the plate the gos between the fillter and the sump to attach it.

Scott

MARTIN KELSON
11-03-05, 03:03 PM
Agree with Scott, depends whot your useing the car for. If its just a road car then be ok without one. If your going to track it or drag strip it then be good idea to fit it.
Wouln't hurt to fit it anyway.
Mines fitted standing up next to the rad on the drivers side. If i remember there is a plastic cover next to rad, rip that out and pipe oil cooler into that space left behind.

Aragorn
11-03-05, 06:03 PM
cool running stat is a bit pointless really?

the engine is designed to run at 90c (or whatever the actual value is) and running it cooler than that will actually reduce performance, and it wont help keep it cool either as the thermal capacity of the cooling system is still the same - sit at full throttle on a track for 20mins and your gonna have the same temps with or without the cool stat

its just gonna take longer to get warmed up

as for the oil cooler its useful if u plan to run at high rpm/load for long periods of time but for normal driving you'll be ok

you will notice a drop in oil pressure when the oil starts getting too hot as it gets thinner