PDA

View Full Version : Engine UPDATE! Oh Dear!!

Will F
11-03-05, 10:16 AM
As some of you may (or may not) know, a self tapper found its way down one of the TB trumpets on my C16XE...

After new valves etc the compression was still down (50 psi) on the offending cylinder...
Engine was stripped down yesterday, and I discovered the problem :(

Cracked piston!
Badly grazed bore (beyond the help of a hone)
Pitted bore!

GREAT!!! :cry:

What to do????
a) LET (I have 2)
b) C20XE on the TBs of the C16XE
c) Buy new steel rods and omega pistons (?1400!!!)

I really dont wanna scrap the C16XE idea, but it is going to start getting really expensive!

HELP!!

Aragorn
11-03-05, 10:23 AM
+1mm rebore and new std pistons?

shouldnt cost any more than ?250

Will F
11-03-05, 10:28 AM
And rods??
I am thinking I want to get to 200 bhp at some stage so will need pocketed pistons....

Rick Draper
11-03-05, 12:08 PM
If you shop around you can find steel rods that are far better than the Arrow ones SBD sell for cheaper.

Stuart
11-03-05, 12:18 PM
they would be farndon rods then ;o)

Adam Moran
11-03-05, 12:25 PM
Sorry to hear the news Will :-(

I'm just about to purchase steel rods for my build, i'll be getting them from this guy... http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185586 Very good price and i beleave them to be farndon rods.

Hope it helps ;-)

Ad

Rick Draper
11-03-05, 12:27 PM
they would be farndon rods then ;o)

Thats right.

I cannot understand why you fitted the head back on without looking at the condition of the bore and piston:? After you knew there had been a self tapper enter the engine and been rattling around the piston i would not have even thought about fitting the head back on without a good inspection of everything in that bore.

Rick Draper
11-03-05, 12:30 PM

I'm just about to purchase steel rods for my build, i'll be getting them from this guy... http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185586 Very good price and i beleave them to be farndon rods.

Hope it helps ;-)

Ad

They are expensive.

NovaNeil
11-03-05, 12:34 PM
Just wondering.... Do you really need Steel Rods for a 200bhp NA 1.6??? Aren't steel rods mainly used for either Hi-Boost and very high revving engines? as in 9000-11000rpm???

Neil

Will F
11-03-05, 02:39 PM
Rick, I had the bores checked over and they were fine!
It seems th e piston had cracked (further) since being put back together.

Cheers Adam, i will look into it...

Looking into Omegas with standard rods.. Ye or nay?

benji
11-03-05, 04:08 PM
what about getting another standard 1600 16v bottom end

Adam Moran
11-03-05, 04:42 PM

Hope it helps ;-)

Ad

They are expensive.

Rick, are you sure :? :?

Ive done a little research and they are the best priced by far AND they come with ARP 2000 rod bolts, not a bad deal for ?585 all in.

Please prove me wrong tho :wink:

Aragorn
11-03-05, 06:59 PM
fit standard pistons with deseamed and shotpeened std rods and get the std pistons pocketed out to match the cams

peester
11-03-05, 07:11 PM
well option b.) the throttles are too small for xe.. so thats no good.
seems like peeps are goin with gettin the mini xe sorted.

Rick Draper
12-03-05, 02:30 PM

Hope it helps ;-)

Ad

They are expensive.

Rick, are you sure :? :?

Ive done a little research and they are the best priced by far AND they come with ARP 2000 rod bolts, not a bad deal for ?585 all in.

Please prove me wrong tho :wink:

I have just brought a set for ?500. Brand spanking new and will be with me this week. Farndon Racing rods with ARP 2000 bolts.

Chris_W
12-03-05, 03:14 PM
Rick,
Rather than bragging, how about telling him where from? Help the fellow nova owner and all that....

Chris

Adam Moran
12-03-05, 04:02 PM
Thanks Chris, thats just what i was going to say :lol:

Come on Rick.... where did you get them from?

Rick Draper
12-03-05, 05:04 PM
Thanks Chris, thats just what i was going to say :lol:

Come on Rick.... where did you get them from?

You need to get a few of you together to do a group buy or they will be the same price as RSC ones. Stick a post up on MIG and here possibly to try and get say 4/5 of you together to buy them. I will send you his email address.

Ben
14-03-05, 10:22 AM
Well it was nice of SBD to volunteer doing the work!

NOT