PDA

View Full Version : steam clean

ade
30-04-02, 11:11 PM
My engine bay is a mess. Its dirty, masty and everytime I go near it, no matter how careful I am I get covered in shite.
I'm respraying me car soon but am not removing the engine, however wondered whether steam cleaning is a good option. I heard that its not too good for the engine as it strips the oil from it which actually protects it from the spray that comes up from under the car? I need to touch up the rusty areas in the bay but dont wanna promote rust if I can help it. I know you can buy degreaser but thats a real mess and just pushes it around the bay. Any advice on wot u guys have done to clean up your bays would be great?
Ade

Rich Dale
01-05-02, 03:20 AM
In my GTE, the problem was not grease but bloody engine lacquer.....everything was covered in the shite which had turned orangey brown! I just carefully scrapped it off then polished up the paintwork.

As for grease, you can't really beat "GUNK".....sure, it might be messy but if your engine bay is really mucky then it's the best stuff to get it off.

You might find though that just wiping with old rags is good enough to get rid of most of the crap.....then use GUNK on any really bad bits.

I've found that T-Cut (and similar polishes) is good at dissolving engine bay crap too.....I used that to de-grease the underneath of my bonnet on my last nova, plus it shined the paint up at the same time.

Steam cleaning is quick but it's true that it can fook things up, especially electrical components/sensors etc.
Also, when I had it done on my 'tina a few years back, the started motor got flooded with water!!!! One of the main relays got fooked up too!

carnage501
01-05-02, 01:32 PM
best way to clean it, have a go but be carefull not to go near any electrics.

Feature your Nova SR at www.srownersclub.co.uk

HOGGE TD
01-05-02, 06:35 PM
One thing you MUST do if you steam clean the bay...keep the engine running, saves hassle later and you'll here if it tries to cut out.

CP
02-05-02, 11:20 PM
Only for hard cars that can take it. Best to use degreaser and hot water so that moisture isn't forced into places it shouldn't be. Yep oily shite does protect stuff from corrosion.

Ste_Nova
09-05-02, 02:10 PM
get a garage to steam it for ?15 they will use a 150deg steamer and propper truck degreaser don't blast the electrics and dry inside the dizzy cap afterwards

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D
special rates for girls!!