PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 Gte engine problems

Jay867
07-03-05, 12:42 PM
i've just done an engine conversion from 1.2- 1.6, i've had it on the road for about a week now but every time i dip the clutch coming down to a junction the revs just drop and cuts out, and i have to start it again. it starts fine and idels a bit lumpy but nothing much. i have to really slow down using the gears when coming to a stop then it just says keeps running then pics the revs back up to idel. does anyone know why this is? or by the way had the engine rebulit aswell. so dunno if it has something to do with timing but tried turning the idel screw out and nothing happens.

jay

dunova
07-03-05, 02:52 PM
So does it only stall when braking? Your battery may not be up to much? Or there could be something wrong with the brake servo connection on the inlet manifold?

NickWalliams
07-03-05, 04:23 PM
Has it always done that?
Does it do it standing still if you rev it, does it cut out then?
Does it run rough, if its just been rebuilt it shouldnt do.

When my rings went on one of my gsi engines it used to cut out at junctions.

Could be idle control valve.

Will F
08-03-05, 09:35 AM
None of the above.
I would deffo go for air leak

Check that there are no splits on the main hose between the inlet and AFM, and ensure you have all vacuum hoses fitted...

Jay867
08-03-05, 10:54 AM
yeah it does it when braking coming to a junction. which hoses should i check, where abouts are they? also noticed last nite that when i have my heater and lights on it does it bad, but without them out its not that bad but still does it.

cheers for yor replys

burgo
08-03-05, 11:47 AM
check your battery is ok and that your alternator is putting out the correct voltage

Stuart
08-03-05, 02:00 PM
crappy gearbox earth strap!

and renew the HT stuff.

Jay867
08-03-05, 02:07 PM
i'll check the earth strap and battery tonighte, got some spare ht leads so i'll change them aswell, is it work changing the plugs aswell as they looked a bit old?

burgo
08-03-05, 05:06 PM
i'll check the earth strap and battery tonighte, got some spare ht leads so i'll change them aswell, is it work changing the plugs aswell as they looked a bit old? renew all of the ignition system then you know its none of that

NickWalliams
08-03-05, 06:34 PM
Basically it could be anything so Id do all of the above!