PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump options on 1.6T40

Nick
06-03-05, 02:29 PM
I'm at a bit of a dilema over the fuel pump situation on my 1.6T40. so far i've found these following options

1 - Buy an electronic fuel pump.

2 - Fit a mech Fuel Pump in the SAD bit, and use the Lobe on the cam to run it

3 - (cambs suggestion) use some funky combination of the 1.2 cam housing and oil seperator ? with a mech fuel pump.

Can anyone give me some advice on what is the best thing to do ? to be honest, i'd like to avoid a Electronic fuel pump, as it means more wiring, the part is roughly ?80, and i'm doing this properly, but on a budget.

I'm not quite sure about just sticking the mech Fuel pump where the SAD bit is, as it all seems a bit simple ? some people have told me it wont work.

the car is currently a 1.2 carb, so utilising the mech fuel pump would be a good idea

Philsutton
06-03-05, 02:55 PM
i'd go for a electric fuel pump its only 1 wire anyway so its not exactly much wiring needed and get a fuel regulator

johnny27
06-03-05, 04:12 PM
The only prob with some aftermarket electric pumps is there is no impact sensor to shut off the pump in the case of an accident, very dangerous, fire hazard. Heard of people using a impact sensor from the rear of a pug 406 and wiring that up but i don't know how to do that. At least with the standard mechanical pump or electric it will shut off due to the cam stopping spinning or the ecu shutting down a electric one. I just would'nt feel safe know that a fire could start in an accident

Nick
06-03-05, 04:21 PM
phil, tbh i really can't justify spending ?100 on a Electronic fuel pump when i could easily just use the one i have, bit of a waste really? And i already got a crappy little Regulator lol..

Anyone have any advice on running a mech fuel pump, I'm sure i've seen them before.

Aragorn
06-03-05, 04:36 PM
what do u currently have?

1.2i pump would probably flow enough fuel or just use an mpi pump from a cav/vectra/astra and regulate it to the correct pressure

as long as u have a regulator capable of regulating to 3psi and its a 4 port one you'll be fine

Nick
06-03-05, 04:38 PM
it's a 1.2 carb...

so it's all carb lines tank e.t.c

i've got my heart set on using my mech fuel pump, but can it be done ?

nathan.
06-03-05, 06:35 PM
i use a 16sv cam housing and standard mechanical fuel pump.

MC
06-03-05, 09:59 PM
As I have said before and am getting sick of repeating, use the mech pump and cam carrier from the 1.2 carb. It works, end of, no discussion.

MC

burgo
06-03-05, 10:02 PM
as mc sad it works end of and it's what i shall be doin

Snowface
06-03-05, 11:57 PM
i'm using the 1.6 head with 1.2 cam housing/rocker cover.

Then use the crankcase breather from my 1.2 instead of egr rubbish.

that way i keep mech pump/regulator i've got now.