PDA

View Full Version : Good Advice Needed:)

swebb14spi
05-03-05, 11:05 PM
:?: Hey,Hows it goin,Im Steve Im new here.I've got a 1.4spi mk2 nova(yeah i know "shopping Trolley" :D ) But I Do Like it,Jus Wondering if I could get some decent advice on livening it up a bit?I've heard the sri head is a bit more free flowing but is it possible to fit that on mine?also was thinkin cam's and maybe a sri exhaust manifold but im just wonderin if i could get some decent advice from peeps in the know?should i just wait till i can insure a gsi :)

dandan
05-03-05, 11:31 PM
Aragorn's the one to ask. I'm pretty sure he's got a 1.4spi project underway at the mo.

Dod
05-03-05, 11:32 PM
Not at all buddy. I'm in the same boat as you. The 14spi and mpi engines have the same bottom ends, so the SRi head will fit, and add a bit of power. Try and get a GTE or GSi exhaust manifold, a decent set of carbs, twin 40's or a weber 32/34, use your own inlet manifold, get a good cam and a decent exhaust system. This'll liven her up a bit!!

Adam
05-03-05, 11:58 PM
You could convert the engine to MPI.
Or convert the engine to a 1.4SR engine, need to swap inlet, cam, fuel pump etc.

I wouldn't bother spending much money on a 1.4spi engine tbh, just save it for summit decent.

Nick
06-03-05, 12:24 AM
Not at all buddy. I'm in the same boat as you. The 14spi and mpi engines have the same bottom ends, so the SRi head will fit, and add a bit of power. Try and get a GTE or GSi exhaust manifold, a decent set of carbs, twin 40's or a weber 32/34, use your own inlet manifold, get a good cam and a decent exhaust system. This'll liven her up a bit!!

but you can't just add the SRi head and keep the SPi. As the Spi inlet will probably have a completly different port shape to the Sri head.

If your changing all of that (basically everything except for the bottom end) you may as well get a bigger engine, i.e a 1.6 and run it on carbs.

The Best thing to do would be get a fuel pressure regulator and run it on a Twinchoke pierburg 2E3 from a 1.4SR, i think you may beable to use the SR head as well to avoid any inlet manifold issues. - that would be a cheap way to unleash some bhp, as the SPi's are Crap

Nick
06-03-05, 12:28 AM
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107319

here is a guide on 1.2i modding, im sure in principal it's the same thing.

Looking through it, the other restrictive parts (except from head and Spi) are the Cam and the Cat system.

swebb14spi
06-03-05, 12:58 AM
Thats some great info thanks,i've been havin a few idea's but just needed to get some info on them,I think i might go for an sri manifold and like a peco back box atm,maybe get a de-cat.I like the spi because im planning on using it daily,so it's a lot more reliable,im fed up of my old car's runnin on s.u's and webbers just decide'ing to not go,spose a Mpi would be good but will i need to chop into the loom for the ecu swap?..also i would like to get a cam but goin into town everyday i don't think a fast road cam would like crawling in traffic :?