PDA

View Full Version : mot quiki "drop it down loooow"

alxlaw
04-03-05, 05:11 PM
i was chattin to a mate of mine who will be doin the mot on the 1.0 before the big engine / (brain) transplant goes ahead (awaiting loan)........and the guy said he wudnt pass a car with lowering springs on????....thats gotta b bol*x aint it? cuz i cant be ****ed to put the old springs on... i mean the rear is perfect gas shockers and g-max 60mm springs but the front are just a set of g-max 60mm cupled with the ugleyest rusty old sri shockers he said he'd let me off but is that really true? cant be shurely other wise there'd be loads of illegal cars on the road....

Ricks
04-03-05, 05:14 PM
mines never been pointed out over suspension or owt.

Jack
04-03-05, 05:18 PM
Lowered suspension is ok afaik. If the MOT tester deems it to be TOO low, or the components unsafe (corroded, loose etc) he could fail it I think...

General Baxter
04-03-05, 05:21 PM
hes not really a good mate if hes going to fail it ;)

take it to another test center

dan-hipgrave
04-03-05, 05:54 PM
My MOT tester gave me advisories for every aftermarket part - the exhaust, suspension etc. You shouldnt get failed for it mate.

Nick
04-03-05, 06:13 PM
i've been told plenty a time that if you jack the car up and the front springs come loose, then they'l probably fail you on it

if you jack the rear up slighly and the springs are free to wobble they'l fail you on that as well.

it's -80mm springs that you'd fail on

dandan
04-03-05, 07:15 PM
I had that happen on my mk1. :)

They put it up on a 2 poster ramp and as the back dropped the springs rather unceremoniously fell to the floor.
The tester just looked at me shook his head and failed me on the spot! :oops:
Ended up having to make a couple of brackets up that held the top of the springs to the car.

Philsutton
04-03-05, 07:40 PM
just cable tie them in to holds to stop the springs falling out, ive had to higher mine right up for the mot, i shall show you some pics some time as it has a bout a meter clearance

Riggy
04-03-05, 08:43 PM
lol i had my coilovers right down for my mot :lol:

and they couldnt get it on the ramp lol he said they had a nightmare mot 'ing it hehehe

when o told them you can adjust the height by turning the locking plates he was devestated lol "ive never seen them before " he said :lol:

ANDYRACER
05-03-05, 02:01 PM
U can't fail a mot for having ur car lowered look at cars that come lowered as standard they pass fine.

Jules
05-03-05, 03:41 PM
U can't fail a mot for having ur car lowered look at cars that come lowered as standard they pass fine.

You can, and will (should) fail if when the car is jacked up the springs are loose or insecure in their mountings.
Fronts shocks are normally OK (unless they are broken or extremely short) but the rears are the ones that will give you the failure 9/10, best bet is to stick a standard set of springs on the rear just for the MOT, only takes a few minutes to swap them over.

Jack
05-03-05, 03:55 PM
The springs shouldn't fall out unless you're using >60mm springs on standard dampers.... and if thats the case you deserve to fail :roll:

Cars that are lowered as standard are designed to be lower, so have shortened uprated dampers or have springs that are only marginally smaller than standard ones. I doubt a new car design would pass the SVA test if they jacked it up and the suspension components fell apart!!

Philsutton
05-03-05, 05:45 PM
also if your wheels catch thats a failure as well due to it being to low

alxlaw
06-03-05, 11:49 AM
well the wheels dont rub but there f**kin close so ill put ma 13"s on just for good mesure.....ma "mate" sez theres a noise polution test for the Zorst n all?, i dont think he likes the fact i modded ma nova before he had enough doh to mod his corsa, he's one of those ppl who no matter what you do to your car no matter what you spend he'll tell ya its sh*t n u shudna botherd....but he's an mot tester at kwik fit so he's usefull!

Dan
06-03-05, 11:51 AM
init

alxlaw
06-03-05, 11:58 AM
well if i could get hold of front dampers for that s**ty 1.0 id buy em now....i buat a set of ma next door neighbur but when i put em on the car was 70mm higher than b4 so i took em off

Riggy
06-03-05, 12:00 PM
^^^^ wtf :?:

alxlaw
06-03-05, 12:35 PM
:evil: not that confusing really?

johnny27
06-03-05, 12:50 PM
don't mean to go off topic, but when ppl talk about coil overs does this just mean that the spring just sits over the damper like on the front suspension of novas? and is it possible to do this on the rear of the nova cause the damper and springs sit side by side and not over each other?

Jack
06-03-05, 06:52 PM
Yep; the spring "coils over" the damper, hence the name. And yes its possible to put them on the rear but thats a fair bit of welding to stregthen it all up.

and lol @ Dan :lol:

Nick
06-03-05, 06:56 PM
lol @ dan aswelll..

and yes, it really is that confusing

johnny27
06-03-05, 06:58 PM
i take it then if coil overs where used in the back the suspension would be more indivdual to each side causing a stiffer ride and less roll? My dads vectra sallon sri, has rear coilovers and independent swinging arms in the rear and it is amazing handling, very very little roll when cornering hard, sticks to the road like sh*t to a blankett.

Dan
06-03-05, 07:05 PM
coilover on rear looks like this.................

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/newcar/coil1.jpg