PDA

View Full Version : turbo conversion

storer
04-03-05, 11:04 AM
hi i have decided to give up on the sri engine that wouldnt work and have bought 2 sr engines 1 is going in the car this weekend and the other i want to do a bit of a project on it with my mate.

We wondered is it possible to do a turbo conversion on it without spending thousands?
could anyone give me a list of all the stuff we would need and what needs to be done?

i was thinking of buying a renault 5 gt turbo engine for parts that we could use would it be worth it?

thanks for any help or advice its much appreciated

Nick
04-03-05, 12:44 PM
ohh well you can get up to 16psi boost without needing to buy pocketed pistons, by using a Steel plate to lower the comp ratio i think...

Apart from that you need to find a way of runing an additional injector to richen the mixture up when on boost ( i think) + management

A good person to ask about a turbo conversion would be Novaneil, or Burgo. As novaneil has a 1.6 turbo and burgo is planning to do it.

as for the R5GTT thing, Baxter is doing the same thing at the mo, so he may have some info on it, but knowing baxter it'l be a spur of the moment thing lol

to do it properly, you'd have to spend a fair wad of cash, but if it's a project/fun thing you could probably get it done for fairly cheap !

General Baxter
04-03-05, 03:38 PM
but knowing baxter it'l be a spur of the moment thing lol

yep i have it all in a box, and about 11pm one night ill mostly like say lets do, get fed up hit it with a hammer about 11.30 and go to bed :lol:

Cheeze
04-03-05, 05:01 PM
regarding this, i am currently just collecting parts,
yeah the spacer plate is what you can use instead of the pocketed pistons and it retails at about ?140 from courtnay inc vat,
As to the fuelling, i have been looking at the aquamist MF2 controller, as it can run up to 4 injectors, but still use the original airflow meter, unless you get a full stand-a-lone management system like what neil uses,
Then just get the turbo manifold from courtnay for about ?280 or get a mate to make an adaptor plate for the original manifold,
Then ull u need is pipework made up, an intercooler of some sort, that all i can think of