PDA

View Full Version : Engine has been sitting for a while, can i....

*novadose*
03-03-05, 06:55 PM
I brought a 1.3 on t40's, higher lift cam (fook knows what), 4 branch and full ashley system, ported head and it has had a new short motor/valves lapped in etc 4000 miles ago. It's been sitting in my shed about a month and at the guys house who had it before for about 3 months. it's not going in the car yet because im seam welding and smoothing in the inner wings etc. I want to check its not seized by starting out of the car. Is there any way to go about it? things to do/check??

It has normal oil fill level in and is sitting kinda up right (a mate can son sort that though) so any suggestions?
Also what other mods can i do to get more power without spending the earth?

Cheers fellas.

Nick
03-03-05, 06:59 PM
Well it should be ok, but i can't suggest how you can start it.

to get more power, you could look at Doing some bottom end work, Rebore, new pistons, lighten and balance the flywheel, polish the crank, Shootpeen and deseam conrods and ARP bolt them.

It doesn't cost the earth, but it should allow you to go through the revs quicker.

After that, Maybe upgrading the headwork even further ? B+ head

ade
03-03-05, 07:04 PM
no need to start it - if its only been sitting for a few months it'll be fine. I;ve got a GTE engine thats been sitting for 18 months - a mate had one for 2 yrs and it turned over 1st time perfectly.

If youre concerned and its gonna be sitting for ages I recommend filling up the oil pretty high, and plugging all "holes" with cloth to prevent moisture and dust getting into it (t40's for example - keep it covered and out the way to prevent knocks.

To see if its seized get a 19mm spanner and turn the big bottom bolt on the cambelt - if it turns then its fine.

Ade

*novadose*
03-03-05, 07:09 PM
Its in the shed so its not getting piss wet through or dusty, damp will be a problem though like yous say. Nick, was thinking of getting a b+ head and 300 degree cam eventually. Its had a new short motor so thats basically the whole top end rebuild so im presuming the bottom end is fine or the mechanic would have said something. I want the flywheel lightened and balanced aswell so ill get it in the car and run it in again then get that done and have the crank sorted along with ARP bolts maybe.

Cheers for the help. I owe you a virtual pint!