PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new headunit

dan-hipgrave
03-03-05, 06:29 PM
Ok, i need a new headunit as my old one has decided to stop working all of a sudden.

I want something thats gonna give decent quality sound and plays all the writeable cd's etc etc so what are people suggestions? i have been looking at ones like Alpine CDA 9847 and CDA 9851 - are these any good?

Dan

Nick
03-03-05, 06:40 PM
as far as stereo's go, avoid the cheap sony and Alpine ones, as they tend to be not up to much

for a cheap unit, kendwood have good decent internal amps, and are really good performing. They look a bit bland but are great HU

more expensive, then you can't go wrong with alpine, i think the ones you listed are fairly steep aren't they ? if so i'd recommend. Two of my friends have ?300 alpine units and they are top notch kit. Really good sound quality

dan-hipgrave
03-03-05, 06:49 PM
Yeh they are fairly steep, i saw them on ebay cheap but they are in America so thats why..

I am bidding on an Alpine CDM-9823R at the moment - 4x50watts output, 2 pre-outs, detachable faceplate, CD-R's RW's etc all the basic kit. Am hoping because its Alpine that its gonna be decent quality.

Nick
03-03-05, 06:55 PM
yep it roughly sounds like the one my mate has (the cheaper of the two)

It's really decent quality, with features such as time correction, so you correct the left hand side my milliseconds so it reaches your ears at the same times as the sound from the right hand side. The manual is like a textbook though, it'l take you a few weeks to master all the features

You wouldn't think it makes a difference, but they do sound really really good.

Cheap sony HU's you tend to pay alot of money for the name.

dan-hipgrave
03-03-05, 06:59 PM
Cool cheers for your help mate :D

My current headunit is a Sony one that ive had for over a year - was state of the art when i first got it lol its also 4x50watts etc etc but has been really dodgy lately and then last week just decided not to work anymore, and its weird driving without music lol

Jack
03-03-05, 11:13 PM
I've got an Alpine 9812RR and its a very good HU. Sound quality is excellent and its loaded with features.

Be wary of buying stuff from the states. My mate was looking at buying a Pioneer HU from american Ebay, but it would have worked out almost as expensive after import duties and shipping - and he's had stuff caught up in customs for weeks before.

ANDYRACER
04-03-05, 12:12 AM
Im really impressed with the Pioneer P77mp for the price there fat at the moment ive got a Alpine CDM9807RB its a few years old but its a very powerful unit and has great sound quality and is great for powering large amps. :D

Ricks
04-03-05, 12:25 AM
ive found tht kenwoods cd players are good quality well it shud be it cost ?500

Jack
04-03-05, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't pay ?500 for a Kenwood :?

dan-hipgrave
04-03-05, 12:50 PM
well I won the auction for the Alpine CDM 9823R and its a British auction - the American auctions were ?35 postage :o

Will see how good it is when it arrives :D

Ricks
04-03-05, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't pay ?500 for a Kenwood

i dint i got it for free but my sister paid ?500 for it

ANDYRACER
05-03-05, 01:48 PM
Jammy git u got a free cd player :evil:

Nick
05-03-05, 07:55 PM
Kenwoods cheap cd players are fantastic peices of kit. Look in all the mags. on cheap HU tests Kenwood always come out top.

but for ?500, i'd rather put my money somewhere else i.e apline

Ricks
06-03-05, 01:27 AM
i ant fitted it tho but i do think sonys are shit and cheap

ANDYRACER
06-03-05, 01:31 AM
The only headunits id buy are Alpines and Pioneers all the others are crap. :evil:

Ricks
06-03-05, 01:34 AM
kenwoods,and jvc. had no experience with any other makes