PDA

View Full Version : Rust hole in Battery Tray

Nick
03-03-05, 06:21 PM
I've just cleaned my car interior today, and noticed under the Drivers Matt i have a Brown Damp mark on the floor carpet, next to the centre console (i figure this is the lowest point on the floor plan of the footwell) and it's slighly damp leading up behind the pedals.

I can't be bothered to get the battery out now, as i can take it to the garage tommorow, but i notice there is a very small hole (pea size) under one corner of where the battery sits !

Should there be any holes except for the drainage duct at the side, and does this sound like classic battery tray symptoms ?

Could there be any other weakspots to check ?

I'm very sad because this will be the first time any form of welding has been done on my car.

Thanks Nick

ade
03-03-05, 07:06 PM
clasic nova rust spot - the battery tray area. there shoould be no holes other than the one that goes into the wing for drainage.

Weld it up otherwise it'll fail the mot (cockpit compromise).

You could fibregolass it over but if it rotten now it'll just spread. Cut if out and weld it up.

?50 tops

Austin_Nova16
03-03-05, 07:07 PM
I'm sure if you poke a screw driver behind the rear shocks, you'll find holes there aswell. Very common.

Shouldn't be and holes by the battery tray, other than on the upper part where the arial goes through.

Nick
03-03-05, 07:10 PM
my shell is in v.good condition, so i really hope it's not a hole in the innerwings !

I'm gonna run it down to the garage tommorow and see when he can weld it up !