PDA

View Full Version : rear disc people

m.d.
02-03-05, 05:41 PM
ok its not another how to post by the way.

ive baught a beam from eurorallye which has rear discs mounted. saved me hastle to get one already done. or so i thaught.

anyway i was taking it apart so i could paint the beam and i noticed a few things.

1 it has knowhere to mount the bends for the handbrake cables. (not a problem as i can get them off my old beam)

2 it had no brake shoes or mechanisms in the disk for the handbrake cables to connect to.

3 when i took the hubs off there was another plate between the hubs and the beams (not the shoe carrier) it is just a 5mm thick piece of steel with the mounting wholes drilled thro it.

i realised that the beam had been used on a competition car so would have probably had a hydraulic handbrake, but are the mechanisms and springs for the rear handbrake shoes available or will i have to get another set of hubs with them in.

the spacer plate. is this normal or does it sound like someone has made the beam wider for some reason this way rather than using wheel spacers,

cheers peeps.

krobinson
02-03-05, 06:15 PM
I bought mine complete, and everything was there. However i replaced the calipers and discs for new jobbies.

The extra plate seems wierd, mine doesnt have that?

The bits you need, you can grab off any SRI cavalier.

Keith

Austin_Nova16
02-03-05, 06:37 PM
I take it they are vauxhall setup on the back, not golf - as a lot of rally boys seem to use them.

If vaux then as above really.
The standard spacers on the beam are 10mm arn't they? if its got an extra 5mm one, i'd take it off and then see how it fits...

m.d.
02-03-05, 06:56 PM
well thre is no spacer other than this loose one (not welded to the beam) and its deffo not standard as its stainless steel lol.

yes its an astra gte set up,

Austin_Nova16
02-03-05, 07:07 PM
As standard, there is a spacer on each side welded to the beam (sits between sub-axle and beam). I take it this is not present on your one then.

I can't exactly remember how thick it is - maybe 10mm i think.

When fitting the vaux disks, apparenty it makes the wheels sit further out by an extra 3mm - although i've never measured this.

Maybe if the orginal spacer is actually 8mm, but is not present on yours, then the previous owner made up the 5mm spacer so that the wheels sit in the same place as an OE beam.

(i'm sure someone may correct me on the standard spacer thickness.

Thats all I can think of....

m.d.
02-03-05, 07:24 PM
ah making much sence now mate. i was worried as ive got sod all space for increace with the width with the 16s im running. ill get some pics up tomorrow to show you what i have then it may be clearer