PDA

View Full Version : Removing/Refitting Windows?

Cassie-Nova
02-03-05, 04:46 PM
How difficult is it to remove the side/rear windows on a Nova? And how difficult is it, getting them back in?

I'm intending on taking out a set of windows out and fitting a set of already tinted ones in.

Is this a "Novice Friendly" task?

Cheers guys,

Jim

General Baxter
02-03-05, 05:12 PM
push out :P

i can get a rear window in withing 30 seconds :lol:

the diagnal bit of the rear window put that in with the seal on the inside, sit inside your boot push with window on the the car, get your finger and flick the seal up and over all the way around, taping the glass with your palm every so offen from the out side :wink:

Cassie-Nova
02-03-05, 05:28 PM
So to get all the windows out its just a case of pushing them from the inside, out.....no jimmying of the seals with screwdrivers etc?

Does that technique apply to the front side windows and the rear windsreen please mate?

Any guides with piccys on the net? :)

Dar
02-03-05, 05:55 PM
Its just a case of lifting the rubber seal in a corner and applying pressure to the glass at that point. Keep the pressure up and work your way along. The window will slowly move out and then the window rubber will go over the metal lips of the window frame. At this point you should have the idea and you can ease off on the pressure. You may also be able to grab the lifted glass from outside. Once you can do this its just a case of pulling the glass away from the car along where the rubber is coming away from the frame. You will get to a point where the glass will just fall out. Thats ok for the rear windows (sides and tailgate).

The front windows are a little more tricky because you have to remove the door furniture. Then you need to undo the little screws on the top of the door and also undo the two bolts holding the runners in place. Then wind the window down and take out the window rubber and the runners. Take off the strips along the bottom of the window frame on the door. You can now take out the small 1/4 light window complete with the rubber.

If you now wish to take out the main door window and mechanism you will need to drill out the three rivets. Once you have done this you can slide the window off of the winder mechanism and retrieve it out of the window frame. The winder mechanism will pull out through the door.

Putting them (rears) back in requires some string and a mate to help you. Put the rubber around the glass and slot as much in to the frame as poss. Then whilst your mate applys some pressure from outside, pull the string from the inside, this will pull the rubber back over the metal ridge around the window frame. Be careful though because you can pull the string in to the rubber if it catches. The fronts are just as case of putting it all back together. But you may want to bolt the winder mechanism in place rather than rivet it back on.

Hope this helps
Dar

Cassie-Nova
02-03-05, 06:30 PM
Main Door Window and Mechanism = Drivers Side Window, right?

Sounds like a lot of work! Is it easier to use the tint roll on the front windows, leaving them in the car? From the inside?

Where abouts do I thread/run the string?

Cheers for the comments guys, sry to keep asking questions! :?

Jack
02-03-05, 07:54 PM
I think the haynes manual says about how to put the rear windows in and out; the string thing - you run all round the rubber in one of the grooves, and pull it away from the car once you've put the window up in position. This causes the rubber to be pulled over the metal lip of the car window frame... which then holds it in place... its hard to explain without showing how its done lol

Definately easier to remove the windows than try and tint them on the car though!

Aragorn
02-03-05, 10:11 PM
i think u'll find the front windows will simply pop off the arm with some leverage

saves u drilling out the rivets on the winder mechanism :|

ade
03-03-05, 07:10 PM
yeah theres a clamp on the window - they have a plstic slider that just slides out. You do however have to dismantle most of the door to get the fookers out. Well i did anyway.

Worth it though for GSi tinted glass (I had a merit - changed all glass and will never look back!)