PDA

View Full Version : Crap under the carpet.....??

boredbloke
02-03-05, 08:49 AM
I've got this hard stuff under the carpet that is no way gona come out, it's like this big sheet of brown concrete.

What is it ?

I've seen a few nova's stripped without it, so how on earth did you get rid of this stuff???

I've removed all my carpet cos i had a leak and i think it staying that way although i'm gona need to give it an entire respray :roll:

srs1
02-03-05, 11:42 AM
heat gun, scraper and if you have it, wire brush attachment on a grinder.

and alot of patience.

Nick
02-03-05, 12:18 PM
sound insulation i think you mean

boredbloke
02-03-05, 12:58 PM
It just seems to be in the footweels at the front, and under the bench it the back

cheers srs1 i'll give that a try

kevw
02-03-05, 01:07 PM
We just used a heat gun then it rolled off lol

The only places it was really stuck on on my car was where it was on top of the sealent where the joins in the panels are.

I'll get pics later

boredbloke
02-03-05, 01:29 PM
Cheers Mate

Stuart
02-03-05, 01:32 PM
when using the heat gun be very very careful as there are plastic fuel lines running under the drivers side by the tunnel.

i know i set fire to a barn lol.

srs1
02-03-05, 01:33 PM
you are the god of all fire starters camb.

as people have also said, just take your time mate, you'll soon discover which is the best method for you.

Nick
02-03-05, 01:36 PM
you might want to buy a bottle of 3G sticker remover and dilute it with alot of something else :-) lol... i doubt water will work...maybe diluting it with white spirit or something solventy

it's marvelous at removing sticky remains once you've scraped all the brown stuff off.

Philsutton
02-03-05, 02:15 PM
i found the heat gun did nothing to mine, it just melted into a nice mess an was even harder to get off. Get your self a screw driver or something to chip it out with an camp out for the day

sh0rty
02-03-05, 06:56 PM
I actually did a lot of removing this stuff on Kevs car. Heat gun and a chisel worked wonders. But as someone said it went to sticky stuff, that happened to me if you heated it way too much.

Well I'm chuffed anyway I managed to do it. It weighs a hell of a lot too fair play :!:

kevw
02-03-05, 09:45 PM
Pics:

The removal process (Sam aka sh0rty was doing this side, when I did the other side I just warmed the sound deadening and peeled it off, if you dont warm it then it snaps)
http://www.kevw.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_pic%20030.jpg

Here you can see what it looks like without it (no sticky stuff was left on mine - must be lucky lol). This was just after I spent about an hour drilling the spot welds on one of the seat brackets :roll:
http://www.kevw.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_pic%20036.jpg

Kev.

Dan
02-03-05, 10:19 PM
Once you have removed the sound deadning the best thing to remove the stain or any small bits left is carb cleaner and a rag, i have done this on a few occasions and its worked a treat with no real effort needed.

Stuart
03-03-05, 07:58 AM
i cheated by using paint stripper and a grinder with wire wheel attachment lol

that was after getting the deadening off.

boredbloke
03-03-05, 08:43 AM
Cheers for your help all

So once this stuff is removed is it gona get really noisey in the car?

i.e road noise etc?

snapper
04-03-05, 03:11 PM
shyeh. like it's not noisy in the car anyway what with the crap door seals and stuff! this is what your stereo is for you see 8)