PDA

View Full Version : Fuses in distibution box?

dandan
01-03-05, 10:54 PM
This might be a really daft question........... but what size fuses do I need. The box is a 1 into 2 with a 4G wire running to a 2600w amp and an 8G wire running to a 1000w amp. :?:
Please help cos I cant seem to find the info anywhere :(

Nick
02-03-05, 01:45 PM
Your amps should have a fuse on them, look at the two fuses the should be somthing like 10A,15A,20A zig-zag type double pin fuses.

Does the distribution box have a slot for a fuse for each of the outputs ? or does it have a slot for one fuse ?

basically, your amps will have a fuse on them, that will be calculated so that if the current exceeds the fuses amount, the fuse will blow. This amount is worked out from how much current the amp draw e.t.c

so ideally you want a fuse in the distribution box, whether it will be 2 or 1 that will allow no more current to pass than the fuses on the amps.

Also, where is the distribution box ? in the enigne bay ?

dandan
02-03-05, 01:50 PM
Thank you nick! :)

Distribution box is in boot splitting main supply to my 2 amps. There is a seperate fuse for each amp supply. Before just had a splitter and ended up wrecking my amps so wanna protect them this time round.

Nick
02-03-05, 01:56 PM
well do the amps have their own fuses ?

if so, the fuses in the distribution box will be to stop the wires from recieving more current than there rated capability.

i.e if your wire has a lower current rating than your amp draws then it's bad news lol.

If your wire has a higher current rating than your amp, then just stick the same amp fuse in as your amplifier has.

you should also put a in-line fuse in the engine bay, just after the battery supply, as this will stop the wire that runs through your interior from recieving too much current, melting, and setting fire to your car.

dandan
02-03-05, 02:00 PM
Thats makes sense. Already got an ANL in line fuse, it was just this last bit that was doing my nut. Couldn't get my head round how to regulate the current to my amps using a fused dis box.
Cheers mate.

Nick
02-03-05, 02:22 PM
as said look what fuse is on each amp.

and slot the same fuses into the distribution box, respectivly.