PDA

View Full Version : how do i get my stearing wheel off!!??

SRlew
28-02-05, 02:08 PM
just baught a stearing wheel and want to fit it but i carnt get mine off. i undone the big bolt, took the washer off and hit it with a hammer and it just wont come off!! i oiled it as well

is there more screw or something

srs1
28-02-05, 02:38 PM
no, you might need a steering wheel pulley matey.

either that.
wd40 the nut, let it soak in, then you can pull it off. but dont go mental. you can damage the steering coloum.
once off, you refit the boss and the wheel to that.
just do it on lightly first.

remember.
grease the nut before refitting it.
make sure your wheels are straight
and do the horn (test it) before tightening the wheel back up.

SRlew
28-02-05, 02:47 PM
yer i got the nut off but its just not moving atall when i hit it.
where can i get steering wheel pulley and how much is that going to be?

cheers, lew

Ricks
28-02-05, 02:56 PM
for mine i got a piece of wood and hit it in the middle gently tho and it came off about 30 mins later :)

scott.parker
28-02-05, 02:57 PM
:o stop stop,put the nut back on just a few turns,dont do it up,but if you pull or hit the wheel,and it dose come off,it will fly off there is a high tension sprig behinde it,it will send it though your face,im not joking many of nl member will back me up,there well iffy..

Try gently taping(well hit it but not smacking it) the nut once you putt it on,it should slowly gult the wheel forward,if not you can get the wheel puller from halfords,though when i got one it didnt fit,i had to spend hours modding it to fit the bugger,there about ?12-?15..

Scott

SRlew
28-02-05, 03:00 PM
lol yer i remember seeing a post on here ages ago about leaving the bolt on a little bit so i did. i'll go and try that then scott, if that doesnt work i'll be off back to halfords (3rd time today) to get one of those pulley things.

cheers, lew

scott.parker
28-02-05, 03:04 PM
Ok mate but remember i did spend a few hours grinding it till that puller fitted right,but that was into my GSI wheel not sure if yours is the same inside,might fit easyer.

Scott

SRlew
28-02-05, 03:07 PM
OOOH great im depressed now :cry:

cheers

SRlew
03-03-05, 12:12 PM
hey scott i got a puller its one with 3 moveable/ajustable arms, where did you attach it to the wheel though?

inside it near the nut that holds the wheel on or not?

cheers

scott.parker
03-03-05, 11:41 PM
Right you get the two legs,they go inside the two oval holes in the cast of the sterring wheel,you then turn them so they grip under it,then the middle bolt winds down onto the center pulling the wheel up of the colum..

Scott

Aragorn
04-03-05, 09:41 AM
i told u in your other post u need a vauxhall steering wheel puller not a 3legged gear puller

they are a very specific tool and will prolly need to be ordered from a draper or laser catalog at your local factors, even then it wont fit right - it will need grindered down a bit, but once u get that tool u'll have the wheel off in 30seconds

i baught one and didnt have a grinder so i removed one of the legs and used a combination of socket extension and some other bits to recreate the other leg and even this works in seconds and it only applys force to one side of the wheel

SRlew
04-03-05, 10:25 AM
cheers aragorn, i'll do that if i carnt get this one to work.

sorry scott but did you put the hooks in the two metal oval holes? if so how the f**k did you get them in there you mad man! :o
that gunna take a while but i got nothing else to do so i'll get the grinder out.

cheers guys