PDA

View Full Version : followers

1.2imerit
28-02-05, 12:48 PM
I am very new to all this and have just bought my first nova. I have been reading through the different subjects at how to improve the performance of my somewhat lacking 1.2i and become aware that I dont know what cam followers are. :oops:
Could someone please explain what they are and if possible post a picture so that I can see for myself.
Many thanks for your time and patience.

david dixon
28-02-05, 05:39 PM
they sit on top of the valve spring collets and onto the lifters.

MC
28-02-05, 10:58 PM
The follower is an arm that sits on the valve stem at one end and the hydraulic lifter the other. The cam lobe pushes down on this arm and after the hydraulic lifter has absorbed the initial shock it pushes the valve down.

MC

1.2imerit
05-03-05, 07:06 PM
So whats the difference between a rocker and a follower? And if I am buying a cam which will I need?

MC
06-03-05, 10:08 PM
Same thing. A follower, follows the profile of the cam and rocks back and forth.

MC

1.2imerit
09-03-05, 07:44 PM
Ok. So what does the hydraulic lifter do and would I need to replace this when I put in my new cam?

Sorry you must all think I'm an idiot but we all have to learn one way or another and I thank you all for your time and patience.

James B
10-03-05, 12:35 AM
depends on the definition of the cam. some require solid lifters to function properly

James

MC
10-03-05, 11:01 AM
You can use the ones you have for the sort of cam that you will be using.

MC