PDA

View Full Version : Parcel Shelfs for new speakers

jock23
27-02-05, 06:30 PM
When I bought my Nova 1.2 last year it did not come with a back parcel shelf and still has all the original radio/speaker systems.

However now I want to start making things look better, and was wondering if anyone has any hints/tips on putting in a new back shelf for some speakers that I want. They are nothing too big (17cms?) but I have nothing to attach them to at the moment??

Also any tips and hints on what to do with the front speakers? They look very tricky to replace in the same position?

Thanks

ade
27-02-05, 06:37 PM
most people bolt a sheet of mdf cut to size on the top of the shelf - making sure its secured alll the way round, cut out the speaker holes 1st though (on both mdf and the shelf underneath) and then cover in bass box material (black usually), cutting a cross where the holes are and pulling the material through and either stapeling or glueing from underneath . This discuises the mod. Then you just fit the speakers on top. Nice and clean. If yer speakers are 6x9's depending on the head unit you have you may wish to get an amp to really power them. If your head unit is sufficient then for good quality sould rewire the cables from the head unit to the rear speakers with decent cable. Its easy but means taking apart most of the interior to trace the cable back to the dash.

jock23
27-02-05, 06:54 PM
Yeah but I havent got a back shelf? There is just the side parts where the existing speakers are and that is it, nothing in between.

Is there any suggestions of where I can get (cheap) one of these, or is it possible to custom make one?

Thanks for the advice though

ade
27-02-05, 07:34 PM
put a post in the wanted section of Novaload. i guarantee you'll get 100's replies!

Try speaking to Will F on here - he breaks novas. you could also try www.nova-rally.co.uk - Colin Smith - hes breaking novas all the time and is bound to have a cuple kicking about.

Alternatively you could make one. Just a sheet of mdf - You'll need to mark out the shape of the 2 side bits from the plastic side parts. All you then need is a piece of metal dowling and some way of fastening it to the ends so it can sit in the holders and rise up and down . You'll also need some decent cord to lift it with. If using MDF, youre best rigging this on both sides which means you'll need to atach another fastener on the hatch opposite to the existing one.

Ade

jock23
27-02-05, 07:38 PM
Cheers mate, superb help there!!! :)

What I am thinking of doing is trying to modify one so that it comes in towards the back seat in the middle and just curves round the speakers, as there is quite a lot of times I have to put lots of stuff in the boot and could do with the space, but once i get the base that should be relatively easy!!

ade
27-02-05, 07:43 PM
1/2 inch or 3/4 inch mdf should do it. 3/4 mdf will be heaver (considerably when you add on the speakers) but the thickness will help sound deaden any vibrations.

Remember to cut the holes out 1st then cover it. the cloth will also reduce vibration.

Ade