PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Leak

krobinson
27-02-05, 05:20 PM
My F10 is leaking gearoil. Its coming out at where the selector seal's against the top of the box, but its only leaking when i drive it. Its actually coming out in large amounts too :(

I think i may have filled the box too much. Can someone tell me how much gearoil should be in my F10?

Keith

benji
27-02-05, 05:25 PM
make sure the bung that goes in the locating hole is there. when i was missing it, it pissed oil all over the place

krobinson
27-02-05, 05:28 PM
It is mate, but how much oil should be in the box?

Keith

Snowface
27-02-05, 05:33 PM
when you fill it with oil from the correct place you know when to stop cause it starts coming out of the hole your putting it into. (on the side of the box (passenger side))

krobinson
27-02-05, 05:47 PM
are you sure the box get's filled?

Keith

BigRuss
27-02-05, 08:48 PM
An F10 should have 1.5 litres from completeley empty, if you overfill it will come out untill the oil level has settled to where it should be :wink:

Stuart
27-02-05, 09:48 PM
the vauge manual says 1.8 litres lol

BigRuss
27-02-05, 09:51 PM
cambridge Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the vauge manual says 1.8 litres lol

:roll:

If I put that much in it always throws some out :wink:

:roll:

dunova
27-02-05, 09:54 PM
Don't the f10's have level plugs like the f13's? If so, just undo the bolt on the side (level plug) and fill it up via the g/box oil filler on the top of the box (or in your case empty it out lol) until it stops coming out.

CP
27-02-05, 10:37 PM
sometimes the selector housing can come loose.
F10/13 housings are essentially the same. The level plug is near where the passenger side drive shaft goes into the diff housing - its a 13mm bolt.
You should fill the gearbox up thru the breather hole on the selector housing as it fills the box up first and over flows into the diff which is all connected. Most is held in the diff housing - the crown wheel picks is up and throws it up onto the pinion and the rest of the gears

Snowface
28-02-05, 06:58 PM
Don't the f10's have level plugs like the f13's? If so, just undo the bolt on the side (level plug) and fill it up via the g/box oil filler on the top of the box (or in your case empty it out lol) until it stops coming out.

yeah, thats what i was trying to say, and its how haynes says.