PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Scrubbage!

Mikey_J
27-02-05, 08:40 AM
Hi lads just got a set of 15's but the rear arches are just catching the tyres when ive got 3 people in the car or when im goin over speed bumps etc. My mate suggested grindin part of the arch away with a angle grinder. Any other suggestions baring in mind that im now skint from buying the wheels! Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

raza
27-02-05, 09:38 AM
do what i did with my old Nova . I took the wheel off .. got a little juniour hacksaw .. cut slits in the back arch __|___|____|____|____| so it was like that ( bit under the arch ) then i got a Clamp and just bent them back up flush with the arch dint scrub no more .... sure they are diff ways to do it but i dint have no tools so just made use with what i had was simple to do and it worked

Mikey_J
27-02-05, 09:42 AM
Cheers i might try that! I tell ya tho its got me wonderin how ppl get 17's on they're cars coz mine r scrubbin and they only 15's and i can onli just get a finger inbetween the wheel and the suspension!

raza
27-02-05, 10:19 AM
what tyre size u using m8 ?

Aragorn
27-02-05, 10:36 AM
well when u use 17" u need to be very specific with sizes

7" et45 is about all that will fit

15's u have a bit more leeway cos they are usually 6.5" wide so u can go down to et40 and sometimes lower without it catching

if u do use the cut slits idea make sure its meticulusly clean before u start and make sure u cover it in seam sealer or similar or you will have no arches left in about a month :wink:

Mikey_J
27-02-05, 10:47 AM
Im usin 195/45's i think im def gona try that slit method rather than grind the arch away! so ur sure its not gona scrub when i do this?

storer
27-02-05, 11:14 AM
im not sure wots been done to the arches on my car but ive got 17"s on and they dont scrub anywhere. Ican get my hand between the wheel and the arches and theres loads of room. and its been dropped 40mm.

raza
27-02-05, 11:40 AM
cos on the arches they go down and they have like a rite angle u need to bend the rite angle up to the arch and it will not scrub i had 14s on my old nova and it scrubbed but i did my arch and it was no where near so it will work u could even cut it then just bend it with a peice of wood against ure tyre 194/45 should be the best fit

christlee05
27-02-05, 11:54 AM
My nova got lowered yesterday 60mm and with the arches rolled and using 15s it only rubs on 1 side try flaring the arches thats wat im goin to try.

krobinson
27-02-05, 05:50 PM
Rubbing has nothing to with the size of the wheel, its the offset. If the wheels were ET 49mm they wouldnt rub at all, even if the car was slammed.

Keith

Mikey_J
27-02-05, 05:59 PM
How do i no wot offset it is then? Mite sound like a stupid question but i dont no! lol

Jack
27-02-05, 06:18 PM
Have a look on the inside of the rim, the offset is quite often stamped on there.

Mikey_J
27-02-05, 07:04 PM
So if its not there how am i gona find out? Sori 2 be a pain jus wana no the answers!lol

maxpaine
27-02-05, 07:09 PM
i think you have the wrong offsetr on your whells

SRlew
27-02-05, 09:17 PM
OOOOHH :(
i grinded my arches to get my 15's on and i regret it now, i want nice smooth arches, i wish i used the cut slits idea, going to do it on the front though when i get my new wings.

will i be able to squeeze my 15' x 6.5's (et45, on 195/45 tyres) under my arches when i slam it 100mm?
gunna try it any way though.

novaboyopr
28-02-05, 11:07 AM
i have got 17's on my nova with 60mm drop i did roll the archs first but they still rubbed going round corners not over bumps or with people in it round corners and thats the best bit so wot i did was grind the arch out cut the inner arch out knocked it up with my mate sledge then took the rear panels off inside and rewelded the inner archs to to wing it dont scrubb at all any more

banny2k
28-02-05, 01:27 PM
do what i did, flare your arches out 3 inch so there lke a wide arch kit LOL no scrubbin at all haha i tell you

ade
28-02-05, 07:20 PM
iuf youve just bought the wheels (new?) check with the place you bought them from. Theres usually a number ETxx stamped on wither the area where the centre cap goes or on the rear of the wheel on ther inner rim. You may need to clean them is 2nd hand to see it.
Vauxhalls are best at et 45-49.

This determines how far in or out the wheels stick.

Where is it scrubbing? If its on the outer wall then the offsets out so use the hacksaw method. Just make sure you reseal the cuts with a suitable sealer (grey stripe for example from halfords) - dont use waxoyl - it'll come off eventually.

If they wheels scrubbing on the inside use spacers if you can

With 3 people in the back you might fins the wheel is scrubbing on the arch top - thats the inner curve of the bodywork where the inner part of the car joins the outer shell. That'll require a hammer or worst case scenario cutting and rewelding.

It all depends...

Ash
01-03-05, 12:35 AM
my wheels (running a 195/45/15 tyre) 'did have' a ET35 but i took them to a local metal working place and they milled 7mm of so there now ET42.
this is quite dangerous on cheap wheels which are sand-cast so the face isnt compleatly flat/level. also remeber that theres less metal between the bolt head and the hub, they could also make u up some shims to increase the metal thickness.

in the end i have new arches and had them folded neway - just incase

hope that helps, btw it cost mee 10 quid a wheel to have them milled down

Mikey_J
01-03-05, 10:05 AM
Yer theyre brand new it is literally the lip of the arch catching the edge of the tyre

johnny27
02-03-05, 10:01 PM
i'm not quite sure about what the cutting slats method really does to the arch, would i be right in saying that it leaves the outer arch slightly higher so it won't rub?

Rick_Nova
03-03-05, 03:25 PM
Im having the same problem with 3 people in the car and biggish bumps... my arches have been rolled and flared... and im running
17" team dynamics motorsports in white, 205-40-17 falcons all round
and its been lowerd 60, dno what i can do ? would round wall tyres help?