PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me with networking my pc's?

benji
26-02-05, 10:02 AM
i need to link up all my pc's so they can use my ntl broadband, i phoned ntl but they wouldn't help because they don't encourage people to do it, they would rather sell me a extra line.

what i've got is my pc, that run's windows xp, we've got another pc running windows 2000, and a mac running os10.

my pc and the mac are network ready, but i don't have a clue about the older pc. i'm not botherd if it's wired or wireless, running wires around the house isn't a problem.

basically i don't have a clue what i need or what it's going to cost. do they lose speed? or will it still run at the speed it does now/

cheers

ben.

krobinson
26-02-05, 10:16 AM
Your NTL broadband will be cable, and not ADSL. So a broadband modem/router combo wont be any good. Your best bet is to just network all the PC's with a wireless hub, and "share" your internet connection from your main PC. Downfall to this, is your main PC needs to be on to share.

Keith

benji
26-02-05, 10:20 AM
the modem i have with the ntl package has a output for ethernet and usb, can i use both at the same time?

raza
26-02-05, 11:03 AM
u can network the pcs with a hub plug in the broadband in to the hub then u get ethernet cables with a hub u buy then the ethernets plug in to the Computers ,, one will be the mane one so the other pc will run off it i do it with my computers , and i have Ntl

Snowface
26-02-05, 11:16 AM
if your current modem is JUST a modem then you will need one of
THESE (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37452) then you need to get a SWITCH (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5648492961&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63778).

You plug your modem into the router and then the router into switch.

then all you need to do is run wires from each of your computers to the switch and configure them.

You could opt for a wireless router/accesspoint but it will cost a bit more, not much more though.

Ste_Nova
26-02-05, 12:50 PM
internet connection sharing wizard

benji
26-02-05, 07:28 PM
i've been out today and got a linksys dsl router, it's all working now :D