PDA

View Full Version : De- badging

lauri
25-02-05, 03:47 PM
My nova is flash red and has faded quite a bit now.If i de badge it the paint behind the badges will be a different colour.How do i get round this?
cheers

5_door owner
25-02-05, 03:51 PM
are you sure its not flame red? that fades quite a lot aswell, and ive never heard of flash red???

if i were you i'd remove the badges as normal then t-cut the whole car, that should bring the old faded paint back to life and it will be the same as where the badges were :wink:

lauri
25-02-05, 04:19 PM
Yeah flame red. :roll: :lol: Had a heavy night last night and still recovering! Cheers for the answer!

Jack
25-02-05, 05:40 PM
lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of polishing.

And then polish it more lol. Autoglym stuff is usually pretty good.

ade
25-02-05, 06:27 PM
be careful of t-vut. use it sparingly and just one coat. It removed the oxidised layer but also removes a fine layer of paint. On a red car that means if you rub too much it'll go patchy.

It all depends on how faded it is. On cars over 10 yrs old the paint will have been damaged by general sun light, cleaning and traffic fdirt so the only way you'll ever get it back to what its like under the badge (which wont have been subjected to all the crap over the last 2- yrs) is to fully respray the car.

This is a tad extreme - give it one cut of t-cut - then you may want to use a colour restorer - something like Turtlewax - the eill stain the paint slightly. Allow it to dry (avoid ALL trim and plastic - mask off if you can) then seal with Auto Glym Super resin polich - apply several players allowing to dry in between fully.

You will see red come off when you apply the resin polish but this is ok - its just the stain you applied earlier.

After every wash - allow to dry fully then reseal using super resin polish...

Its hard work but worth it

(all products can be bought in most car shops - halfords for example)

Ade

scoobyturbo
25-02-05, 07:16 PM
de badged my red sri a while back and i had to polish the whole car a couple of times.i used red t-cut and this worked fine.as said b4 it takes a while but the end result will b good.prepere for sore arms :)