PDA

View Full Version : lowered suspension & insurance

ade
07-04-02, 10:49 PM
Just called my insurance company to see what effect my new suspension would have on my premium - explained that because of the amount of m/way driving I do (registered as private/light commercial & business) my last service flagged up I needed new suspension so after advice fitted stiffer lowered suspension for better road holding and economy (great). I advised everything else was the same - same engine etc... The girl asked how low - said 60mm springs and gas dampers - she went quiet for a while and said "oh that shouldn't affect anything - I'll add a note to your file though. Thanks for calling."
... and that was it!
Now, I'm all for moddin and saving cash on insurance but I was sure my insurance would rise a little - now the car looks more sporty - I was at least expecting an updated policy to show I'd declared the change. I'm concerned she was a muppet, late at night couldn't be arsed etc and that I may get stung later on.
Can I ask what the rest of you were advised when you called your insurance companies - or am I too bloody honest and shud have kept me gob shut!

Ade

oh now, that is interesting!

Novaload Admin
08-04-02, 06:31 PM
keep a note of her name so u have a record of whop u spoke to and u should be ok.

dave.gsi
08-04-02, 09:27 PM
whop??

http://www.srownersclub.co.uk

Doc
09-04-02, 09:36 AM
My insurance would go up ?3 a montrh if i lowered my car-norwich union direct. ;)

GR
09-04-02, 11:38 AM
WTF ???
Its an error on her part clearly and being a bird you would of sounded russian to her !
But yeah, if thats what she has said theyve got little right to take back what they've said, after all, she is part of the team .

Vauxhall Nova - Defined in Spain
REFINED IN ENGLAND.

Grant@TranceAddict.Net

Will
09-04-02, 04:35 PM
out of interest wot insurance company was it neway?

Ste_Nova
09-04-02, 05:12 PM
all calls are recorded etc....

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D
special rates for girls!!

ade
09-04-02, 08:38 PM
with Kwik fit - been with them for ages - down as business use cos I work away from home alot (which suprised me coz going onto business use didnt increase premuim either!) - pay aboot ?35 a month with 2 yrs no claims.

I'm gonna ring em again to check she made a note - have a feeling nothing was put down (I work in customer services so know how easy it is to fob people off!)

ade

carnage501
10-04-02, 02:07 AM
what about alloys and insurance

Feature your Nova SR at www.srownersclub.co.uk

ade
11-04-02, 04:35 PM
well, called em back and nothing was noted. Girl apologised and advised they have 2 options - change suspension or modify suspension. Advised it was fully changed. After some frantic typing, she advised that it would add ?75 on the premium for the year. Not bad really. when split over 12 months!
As for alloys, mine came with standard SR 3 spoke 14" wheels when I bought it so dunno. I'm sure adding alloys from steelies will increase premium as alloys are classed as a mod. I do know that you need to tell em everything though. I Work with a girl who used to work for an insurance company and she advised that some companies class adding stickers as modification - all of which can invalidate your insurance ... I guess you need to read the small print.

Ade

Rich Dale
12-04-02, 03:48 AM
I've had this before......told them mods then I ring to check and they didn't have knowledge of the mods :O

That was with Performance Direct a couple of years ago.....I'm glad to say that they've improved a lot since then.

When I swapped to my Antibes from my previous 1.2L, I declared all the mods but the documents came through stating it didn't have any mods! That was just a printing error they said.......when I checked, they did have all the mods listed.
When I added extra mods, like the SR engine, lowered suspension etc I phoned them up and told them and didn't here anything for a weeks, so rang them up to check and they didn't even know I'd fitted the SR engine :O Muppets!
Fuck knows why I stuck with them! Like I say though, they've pulled their finger out now and the details with the GTE have been spot on. I'm still going to change companies next renewal time though (In August)

ade
12-04-02, 07:15 PM
how much you pay rich?
Several friends with cossies have mentioned the guys youre with - I'm lookin at movin but with 3 yrs no claims unsure whether worth it...

Ade

nova_power_y2k
16-04-02, 11:47 AM
ha ha i am 17 and live in liverpool and i have been quoted 1800 pound a year for a 1.2 nova and any think i do to my car am i f**k going to tell the insurance people silly down here kid i wonna move out

ade
16-04-02, 10:37 PM
cockinhell man! Thats more than yer cars worth - if not double the value!!! Shop around you'll get a cheaper quote n that - try internet companies. get cat 1 thatcham alarm. That'll reduce amount a bit (pay for itself in 12 months anyway!) Live at home? got a garage? kik parents cars oot n stick yours in it.

Ade

ade
16-04-02, 10:37 PM
cockinhell man! Thats more than yer cars worth - if not double the value!!! :O
Shop around you'll get a cheaper quote n that - try internet companies. get cat 1 thatcham alarm. That'll reduce amount a bit (pay for itself in 12 months anyway!) Live at home? got a garage? kik parents cars oot n stick yours in it.

Ade