PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused - Differences between Mk1's & Mk2's?

Cassie-Nova
22-02-05, 10:56 PM
I've heard it said quite a lot since joining the web site, that Mk1's are "better" (I use the term "better" losely ;) ) than Mk2's. I was hoping that some one could point out the differences, between the 2 please. As I have a Mk1 C Reg nova and was planning to change the dash to a Mk2 one, that is what sparked the question in my mind! :)

Thanks very much guys!

Jim

raza
22-02-05, 10:59 PM
hmm diff bumpers dash.. seats.. ( i think) fuck knwos what else is diff i personally think mkIs dash are horrid but never owneed one so wunt really no

burgo
22-02-05, 11:00 PM
mk2 rear arches are wider wings and headlights, bonnets

Rach
22-02-05, 11:01 PM
Rach - waits for Mel to post... lol :wink:

burgo
22-02-05, 11:02 PM
Rach - waits for Mel to post... lol :wink: lol she wont tonight shes gone bed now

Adam
22-02-05, 11:08 PM
Rach - waits for Mel to post... lol :wink: lol she wont tonight shes gone bed now
lol

Differences are:-
front wings
headlights
front indicators
grill
dashboard
rear arches are 5mm wider :wink:
Some engines only available as mk2, sri,gsi.

The mk1 dash really shows the age of a nova, mk2 is much more modern.

Cassie-Nova
22-02-05, 11:09 PM
The differences i can think are;
Bumpers - All in one bumper/grill
Dash
NO cat con. (Too early to require one)
Front end - headlights/front inds.
Wider rear arches
Tachometer? My 1.2 hasn't got one? Was it introduced onto Mk2's or only onto selected models/trims?
No rear seatbelts ;)

So what is it that makes people prefer Mk1's over Mk2's?

Cassie-Nova
22-02-05, 11:10 PM
sry mate, must of been writing the list as you wrote yours! :)

Chris
22-02-05, 11:17 PM
I heard a rumour that the Mk1's are made from a higher quality steel, so dont rot as bad as the Mk2's, and looking at some of the car's I have broke it reflects this, just all depends how it has been looked after I suppose

Chris

burgo
22-02-05, 11:24 PM
I heard a rumour that the Mk1's are made from a higher quality steel, so dont rot as bad as the Mk2's, and looking at some of the car's I have broke it reflects this, just all depends how it has been looked after I suppose

Chris i heard that as well chris apparently they used different supliers

Adam
22-02-05, 11:31 PM

Chris
Thinking about it, most mk1s i see arn't as rusted as mk2s :?
Perhaps it is true.

Jack
23-02-05, 12:05 AM
The differences i can think are;
Bumpers - All in one bumper/grill
Dash
NO cat con. (Too early to require one)
Front end - headlights/front inds.
Wider rear arches
Tachometer? My 1.2 hasn't got one? Was it introduced onto Mk2's or only onto selected models/trims?
No rear seatbelts

So what is it that makes people prefer Mk1's over Mk2's?
Not all Mk2s had the tachometer, as with Mk1s its only sporty ones and special editions that had them as standard.
My Mk1 saloon also had rear seatbelts.
Mk2 SRi and GSi also had the smaller rooftip spoiler as opposed to the Mk1 SR and GTE wraparound item.
Different interior trim, Mk2's also had larger all-in-one door handles and pockets. Mk2s also had the updated dash.
Mk1 1.2s had 12ST engine, whilst Mk2s usually had the 12NV (if carbed). Injection engines all had cats.
All the obvious extermal stuff (headlights, indicators, bumpers, front wings, front grille).
As is especially the case with buying aftermarket items, Mk2s have a straight exit exhaust, where as Mk1's seem to be cocked to one side.

Preference seems to be mainly down to an aesthetic persuasion. I prefer the looks and interior of the Mk2 myself, as its more "modern"; to me the Mk1 looks very dated.

JonL
23-02-05, 08:08 AM

Chris

I also heard this, but from what i heard that just applies to the very early mk1's

Other difference is that the early mk1's had a boot door without the grab handle.

Ste_Nova
23-02-05, 08:40 AM
early cars had the rear wiper on the other side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/novalh.jpg

morrie
23-02-05, 10:35 AM
So whats the differance between the 1.2 engines? i thought they were the same in mk1s and 2s.

NovaloadedAgain
23-02-05, 10:47 AM

Chris

My dads friend works at Vauxhall, He has a new vectra but has owned a 1.3 D-reg Nova since new, Its done 130k & is only just starting to rust!
He said before that the older novas were made with thicker steel. That might be why.

General Baxter
23-02-05, 11:18 AM
As is especially the case with buying aftermarket items, Mk2s have a straight exit exhaust, where as Mk1's seem to be cocked to one side.

hehe you said cock :lol:

Jack
23-02-05, 11:28 AM

hehe you said cock :lol:
:roll: trust you to notice that :lol:

As for the engines.... erm, wait for someone who knows stuff to see this thread to answer that :lol:

Snowface
23-02-05, 11:31 AM
about E-F reg they changed it a bit (mk 1.5 if you like).

They put a grab handle on the boot and probably a few other things.

Jack
23-02-05, 11:35 AM

^ same time as when they changed the front bumper from the all-in-one jobby to the two-piece items.

Oh yeah Mk2's had different (flatter) bump strips down the side too :lol:

bradley
23-02-05, 12:59 PM
another diffrane on mk1 and mk2 novas is on the boot the mk2s have a plastic handle above the nomber plate

Alex
23-02-05, 01:39 PM
where did you get your "most people prefer mk1s" idea from?
Probably Mel's spamming :roll: :lol:

If anything I think the mk2s are prefered by most. Hence why you get mk2 conversion "kits" and not the other way around.

Jack
23-02-05, 03:50 PM
another diffrane on mk1 and mk2 novas is on the boot the mk2s have a plastic handle above the nomber plate
Natch... thats the Mk1 phase 1 (<D reg) that had no handles.... later phase 2 Mk1s (E-H reg) had the same handles on the tailgate as the Mk2s (J> reg).

Philsutton
23-02-05, 03:56 PM
most mk1 are rank apart from the original 1.3sr an gte, but even they had some seriously nasty interior

jkhilton
23-02-05, 03:58 PM
the brown check interior was minging!!!

Philsutton
23-02-05, 04:01 PM
lol it certainly is, not get me started on the orange interior complete with orange dash. Its just plain wrong

Cassie-Nova
23-02-05, 05:19 PM
Alex wrote:

Seen it mentioned by a few people, on posts talking about new projects, that "Mk1's are the way to go" etc.

But the dash conversion/front end conversions take away a lot of the differences between the Mk1 & Mk2 - look wise.

Just wasn't sure on what aspect of the Mk1's people found "better" than the Mk2s?

Philsutton
23-02-05, 05:28 PM
That will just be mel trying to convince people mk1 are better

~~joycey~~
23-02-05, 05:45 PM
mk 1's are betta :lol: thats why i plan to get a spotless mk 2 and "de-facelift" it :roll:

krobinson
23-02-05, 06:15 PM
I didnt know mk2's had wider rear arches. I must investigate this with the Mk1 i have in the drive!

The story about the mk1's being made from better steal seems true, as back in 1999 i used to see 1992/1993 SR/SRI's with rust hanging off them. Only 6-7-8 years old!!

Keith

Adam
23-02-05, 06:47 PM

Yep, the carb also changed on the 1.3SR. From a weber like the 1L to the pierburg one IIRC

SKoob
23-02-05, 10:59 PM

Yep, the carb also changed on the 1.3SR. From a weber like the 1L to the pierburg one IIRC

nope, the early SRs had the 1b1 carb as found on the 1.2 :wink: and mk1s are better its a fact* 8) :lol:

*well i say they do so they must be :wink:

Jules
24-02-05, 01:29 AM
I didnt know mk2's had wider rear arches. I must investigate this with the Mk1 i have in the drive!

I also didn't think there was any difference in the rear arches.
:roll:

The story about the mk1's being made from better steal seems true, as back in 1999 i used to see 1992/1993 SR/SRI's with rust hanging off them. Only 6-7-8 years old!!

Keith

As for the quality of steel used, it's true that they did make MK2's from a lower quality, it was due to the economic climate at the time to keep showroom prices down.

Alex
24-02-05, 01:42 PM
IIRC the mk2s had a higher tolerence limit on the rear arches, so some may be wider while some may not (we are talking a matter of a couple of mm though)

Mel
24-02-05, 08:40 PM
Yoohoo, I'm here...finally :lol:

Probably Mel's spamming :roll: :lol:

haha, I don't spam I just state the truth! :lol:

That will just be mel trying to convince people mk1 are better

rofl..that's cause it's true. They don't need convincing, they have seen the light :wink:

Mk1's are the future, the best, and original. :)

The Mk1's were/are very underestimated, hence my obsession...Yes, indeed there are thing I hate about the mk1..ie that dash, but that's because it WAS designed/made yeaaaaaaaaars ago. The mk2 is just poncy looking imo..due to the "round" facelift. Doesn't suit the boxy shapes of the arches/body styling.

The Mk1's are the reason that the mk2's are out there now! THAT'S why they are the daddy..

AND..@ Alex, lol..Just because there are kits out there for a "mk2 face lift" doesn't mean it's "better". It just means that people are being indoctrinated to believe by the majority that the mk2's are the way to go.

Be warned, the Minority WILL become the majority one day lol

All statements made in this post will not be allowed to be used against me in the future, lol :P

Alex
25-02-05, 01:18 PM
AND..@ Alex, lol..Just because there are kits out there for a "mk2 face lift" doesn't mean it's "better".

Never said that it did

hendrix
25-02-05, 01:28 PM
i prefer mk1 fronts because they seem "meaner" than mk2's if you know what i mean. i would have much rather done a valver conversion to a mk1 but i couldnt find a good enough one at the time. :roll: