PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc conversion

Muttly
22-02-05, 10:30 PM
I should be able to get a Cav SRi 16v rear beam with discs and calipers. This would have everything I need to do the conversion wouldn't it? It should also have the handbrake cable.

flowlikewater
23-02-05, 10:00 AM
pvd do a rear conversion kit. id use that personally, as it has everything you need to be able to accept rear discs from a cav. does need abit of welding tho.

i think the cav rear beam is actually too long, and oddly shaped. not 100% sure tho.

Muttly
23-02-05, 04:08 PM
I ment I'd be stripping it for te parts to put on a Nova rear axle. Would all the parts come with it? I know that kit it costs twice what this axle will cost and it doesn't have the calipers or discs or hubs.

flowlikewater
24-02-05, 10:25 AM
i think your going to need the kit as the rear hub in the nova axle aint guna take cav discs. thats why the kit was invented so that the sonvesion could be done. i personally wouldnt know what to do because ive always used premanufactured kits to do break conversions and engine swaps. sorry i couldnt help more.

only about 10% of breaking is done on the rear wheels. also your handbreak wont be as good. nut much different really just not quite as tight on the wheels. you only need rear discs for style.

Stuart
24-02-05, 12:02 PM
for the second time

PVD DONT EXIST ANYMORE

Chris
24-02-05, 12:24 PM
i think your going to need the kit as the rear hub in the nova axle aint guna take cav discs. thats why the kit was invented so that the sonvesion could be done. i personally wouldnt know what to do because ive always used premanufactured kits to do break conversions and engine swaps. sorry i couldnt help more.

only about 10% of breaking is done on the rear wheels. also your handbreak wont be as good. nut much different really just not quite as tight on the wheels. you only need rear discs for style.

Do you know what you are talking about? If not then is there any reason to post?

You need to get both axles side by side, strip the stub axles off each axle, this leave a spacer plate you can see with four holes in. These plates are held on with weld down the sides, grind the welds off and then knock the plates off. You need to put the cav plates on the nova alxes. Make sure all faces are nice and clean. Your can mount the cav plates on the nova higher up if you wish, this will make the car sit lower. Once you have tacked them in place then make sure they are both the same, now weld fully around them and redrill the axle using the holes in teh cav plate you have just welded on as a template. Now bolt on the disc stub axle, make some brake pipes and you are away. As for the handbrake, I used and nova and cav one, and extended the bar which joins the two cables on teh centre of axle.

Chris

Austin_Nova16
24-02-05, 01:03 PM
pvd do a rear conversion kit. id use that personally,

I wouldn't!

Muttly
24-02-05, 06:06 PM
Chris, cheers. That was exactly what I was looking for. This way I can spend ?30 on the Cav rear beam and make it work from that instead of buying the kit for ?80. Cheers. Thats ?80 towards my new engine.

Chris
25-02-05, 12:25 AM
np, I dont mind sharing Accurate Information