PDA

View Full Version : Gte cam in 1.2i.... somethings not quite right

dandan
21-02-05, 11:34 PM
Ok.......... It all sounded so simple. GTE cam and followers (checked them both before they went in), Haynes manual, new gaskets and bolts. Great. While I'm there did the DIY filter and thought "sod it! might aswell do the exhaust" So on went full sri exhaust with de-cat pipe!
I was like a kid at christmas...............And then it all went horribly wrong!
It runs (if you can call it that) like S**T! It sounds like it isnt firing properly.
Please help or I'm gonna burn it!

Chris
21-02-05, 11:39 PM
check the timing is right

dandan
22-02-05, 12:16 AM
Tried playing but it just doesnt seem to be running right.
Someone suggested that I need to change the dizzy.
Any suggestions?

NovaloadedAgain
22-02-05, 09:16 AM
Sorry for the dumb question about to come out:

Can you run a GTE/GSi cam with a smaller engine? I remember hearing something about this before.

dandan
22-02-05, 09:58 AM
It was my understanding that the nova cams are pretty much interchangable. So long as , if you've got a carb, the cam has a lobe on it to operate the fuel pump. Or something like that.

But its doesnt seem to be running quite true at the mo.

Might be getting an SR cam as well. Will I need to change the dizzy if I put that in?

Aragorn
22-02-05, 10:35 AM
does it rev up normally?

i had no problems what so ever it should definately work normally

take the rocker cover off and make sure all the thrust pads and rockers are still inplace

when we say timing we mean cam timing not ignition timing - youve probably got the belt a tooth out

make sure the timing is correct (timing mark on the bottom pulley is pointing at the notch at the bottom of the oil pump, cam pointer is pointing to the notch on the cam belt cover AND the most important bit... it all stays in the right place after u tension the belt with the auto tensioner and rotate the engine a few times)

i had a bit of faffing with mine as the autotensioner kept moving around and somehow throwing the timing out

dandan
22-02-05, 05:42 PM
Thanks Aragorn. Running lot better now. Was nearly full 180^ out.
Just one last thing though. Do you have to use the autotensioner? Did mine by guesstimation.

Stuart
22-02-05, 05:50 PM
im my humble opinion. bin the autotensioner!

all of you with 8v's on auto tensioners should just get rid of it and use the non tensioner belt. ok you have to move the water pump but hey you can seal them easily.

Aragorn
22-02-05, 11:28 PM
when i did the belt on my bros while fitting the gte cam i found the auto tensioner to be totally shite - haynes still tells you to loosen the pump like normal and tension the belt like normal with the autotensioner locked out then releasing the autotensioner and adjusting it so the tension is correct

i couldnt be arsed touching the waterpump as no-one round here stocks just the gasket and i didnt wanna have sealing problems so i did it by only adjusting the tensioner and it worked fine - was just a bit tricky to get the belt to go on

anyway good to see u fixed it :)

hopefully u'll see the difference the first time u drive it - i certainly did (the thaughts running thru my head when my bro drove the freshly rebuilt engine up the road flat out thru first and half of second when it was stone cold werent good either :roll: )

let us know how u get on with it

ive got a 1.2i tuning guide written - just need to post it and get it linked over to the FAQ section - glad to see folk benefitting from it already :)

Adam
22-02-05, 11:38 PM
Your guide should be well used, loads of people been asking for help with the 1.2i engines recently.

kevw
23-02-05, 07:51 PM
GTE cam in 1.2 >>

Does this actually give more power or just change driveability etc?

Aragorn
23-02-05, 11:53 PM
adds power as it gives more valve lift

Stuart
24-02-05, 08:06 AM
i didnt mean bin the auto tensioner for the fun of it lol

i meant bin it because the springs uually go weak and cause the belt to lose tension at rpm. Jim has this problem on his 1.6 where the belt is tensioned ok static but once its running the belt dances about over the cam pulley like a tart lol.

The solution is to fit a 1.2 cam belt and take off the tensioner. then adjsut the pump.

Aragorn
24-02-05, 09:50 AM
i think part of the problem is the tensioner is supposed to be replaced with the belt on many other cars (and possibly on these engines too) but no-one ever does

so the tensioner is 10 years and thousands of miles old its obviously gonna wear out a bit :/

fitting the shorter belt is easy tho so as u say u may as well just ditch it than spend ??? on a new tensioner

Snowface
25-02-05, 10:20 AM
my E16SE doesn't have an auto-tensioner (thank god), won't the belt from that fit one which you take the tensioner off?

I think the easiest way to tell if you got an auto tenioner is if your cam cover is squared off at the top.

Looking in haynes it says there is no need for regular adjustment of tensioner.

Stuart
25-02-05, 10:38 AM
but its a 12+ year old spring lol and we all know how std suspension sags with age

hell the omega manual says to change the auto tensioner od the aux drive belt with ever belt change and thats about 30K i think

Snowface
25-02-05, 10:44 AM
i wasn't saying not to change it i was just quoting what haynes said.
i agree it would be wise to change the tensioner after such a long period.

Perhaps go into vaux and speak to them about it if any of you are contemplating it.

getlost29
26-02-05, 09:59 AM
ive got to change my belt soon, ive been told by loads of people to, to not touch the pump, just take the belt and tensioner off, put the new ones on relised the tensioner and bobs ur uncle, no need for faffing about with the water pump.

just a q, how good is the gsi cam in the 1.2i as the only thing on that can ajust the fueling is the lambda sensor. or can u get a piggie back chip for it that can ajust the fueling ets

when i say piggi back chip i dont mean a resistor, the chip that cuts into the ecu

Aragorn
26-02-05, 11:25 AM
cant get any kinda chip but the lambda will do its job and correct the fuelling for u

Snowface
26-02-05, 11:30 AM
i think you may have to reset your ecu after fitting it. Unplug your battery for an hour or so, then the ecu will make itself a new map when you start up next time.