PDA

View Full Version : PC Water cooling

Alex
21-02-05, 01:57 PM
I am thinking of it for my CPU and graphics card.
I have almost fried my CPU before by overclokcing it with a standard heatsink/fan and my fan on my graphics card is stupidly noisy.

Anyone on here have it already?
Need as much info on manufacturers and retailers as possible as well as the different parts avaliable

Cheers

Stuart
21-02-05, 02:10 PM
just run a hose from the bathroom tap to your pc case, make sure you put the hose in the top of the case so the cool water takes the hot air in the top of the case down with it.

Alex
21-02-05, 02:21 PM
yeah, cheers :lol: . I was also thinking of employing a few illegals and issueing them with super soakers. :D

Any sensible replies?

Jack
21-02-05, 02:45 PM
Have a butchers on Tom's Hardware Guide (http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010528/). I'm looking into getting a water cooling system for my pc.

I've also found this, which looks quite effective:
http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/assets/Web_Watering_Can.jpg

Jules
21-02-05, 05:29 PM
I plumbed in a water cooled GFX card for my brothers PC (Gainward nVIDIA 6800pro Cool-FX) and it's really nice, so quiet it's quite suprising how noisy conventional fans are in comparison.
It was a bit of a pain to fit everything in as it had a radiator and cooling fan aswell as the pump/resoiuvoir but with the help of a Black and Decker Wizard I got it to all fit inside neatly with plenty of room and still access to all other componants - I had to void the warrenty on his two week old Thermatake case though!!! :lol:
There were problems with the GFX card itself in the end (not the cooling system) which meant he sent it back and went for the model down with air cooling (No other ones of the one he wanted in stock) but if I could I'd go for a fully water cooled PC.
I was always dubious of putting water inside a PC case as it could easily result in a expensive mess but aslong as you plumb it in well (don't have pipework to tight, no shape angles etc etc) then you'll be alright.

Hope that of some help.

?Marty?
21-02-05, 05:48 PM
I have no problem with the fan, as everytime the PC is on, i have music blasting out.

I suggest saving money and humming everytime the PC is on to block out the noise.

Although if you want serious suggestions, cambridges idea seems very good. I shall look into it.

srs1
21-02-05, 05:56 PM
my mate built this years ago and had it published in a pc mag.

he used a water pump from a diy store (one of those garden type ones)
i'll see if he still has pictures for you.
plus as he is a comp wizard i'll get him to write some details down too.

Dar
21-02-05, 06:34 PM
I've seen some really trick water cooled cases. I can't find the link now but if you go to google and just type stuff like 'silent pc case' or 'water cooled pc' you get loads of stuff up and even some DIY guides. :D

Rach
21-02-05, 09:31 PM
I have no problem with the fan, as everytime the PC is on, i have music blasting out.

I suggest saving money and humming everytime the PC is on to block out the noise.

lmao

i listen to music to drown out the noise too... plus i'm a girl so i dont know what i'm talking about :roll: :wink:

Jules
22-02-05, 07:43 AM

lmao

i listen to music to drown out the noise too... plus i'm a girl so i dont know what i'm talking about :roll: :wink:

Don't be so hard on yourself Rach, I'm sure you could teach us all about washing up, hoovering, mopping floors etc etc etc

:lol:

Alex
22-02-05, 01:36 PM
I'm 100% sure i know how to fit etc, i am just after where people get their parts from. I was looking at the Swiftech systems as they seem quite good value for money. Apart from the following is there anything else that i would need?
pump
radiator (with fan)
hoses and attachments
cpu block
vga block
reservior
anti algae solution
heat paste
water

Jack
22-02-05, 02:32 PM
List looks good to me. You can also get some radiators without fans - QuietPC (http://www.quietpc.com), altho a little on the pricey side, supply the Reserator which works with no fans, so uber-quiet.

Alex
22-02-05, 04:40 PM
that reserater look totally pants. I wouldnt have that anywhere near my pc. :o

The overclock (http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/) ones look good

Rach
22-02-05, 05:41 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself Rach, I'm sure you could teach us all about washing up, hoovering, mopping floors etc etc etc

:lol:

don't forget cooking :wink:

i dont class it as sexist anyway... i'd love to be a housewife lol :lol:

?Marty?
22-02-05, 05:59 PM
^^^ that's why you have little feet. So you can get closer to the kitchen sink.

And the rounded larger hips help you carry the shopping.

Rach
22-02-05, 08:48 PM
And the rounded larger hips help you carry the shopping.

nah, the large hips have no use at all... (apart from repelling men) :lol:

:wink:

srs1
22-02-05, 11:16 PM
i know what you mean about being a house wife rach.
i think you sound the best house wife ever!

*private joke*

Rach
23-02-05, 09:32 AM
i know what you mean about being a house wife rach.
i think you sound the best house wife ever!

*private joke*

i dont get it... :?

is it a private joke i'm in on? coz i cant remember :oops:

Alex
23-02-05, 01:13 PM
erm...ok.
So i take it no one here has watercooling themselves?
I think I'm going to make my own "kit" as the manufacturer kits seem to contain at least one item that i dont want or an inferior item.

Alex
24-02-05, 02:31 PM
so that's a no then :?

hendrix
24-02-05, 02:34 PM
use a water jug :?