PDA

View Full Version : Blower only works on III

dan-hipgrave
20-02-05, 07:55 PM
Ok, when i first got my car the blowers only worked on position III, and the previous owner told me that it was due to a faulty switch.

Well, today i fitted my GSi dash and it still only works on position III, so its obviously not the switch thats wrong, but what could it be? Im guessing the wiring further back in the loom maybe damaged but dont know for sure, anyone else had this problem?

Dan

burgo
20-02-05, 08:00 PM
you'll be wanting a new motor mate

raza
20-02-05, 08:16 PM
i had that problem with my laguna .. i hit the motor a few times and it worked :S fuck knows what was up with it .

burgo
20-02-05, 08:19 PM
on novas it is the resistor burning out when the motor seizes

dan-hipgrave
20-02-05, 10:27 PM
I thought it might be the motor but it struck me as odd that it would work on III and nothing else..

Oh well, good thing my blue nova has a motor in it still, i'll nick it off that.

Cheers guys :D

General Baxter
20-02-05, 10:46 PM
lol mine dont work at all

i turn to 1 the lights get dim, then 2 slightly dimmer and so on

the fan/motor has seizes and i can not be arsed to change it yet,

whats wrong with a coat :wink:

Ricks
20-02-05, 11:06 PM
mine fucks up but it needs a new clip down near the glovebox

Jack
21-02-05, 02:32 PM
Have you checked the wires are matched up correctly for the dash conversion? The Mk2 connector has them swapped round a bit from the Mk1 so its not a case of like for like; just plugging the Mk1 plug into the Mk2 switch causes the blower to only work on III.

However.... if it was a Mk1 dash before you put the GSi item in, and had the same problem, I'd go with it being a duff blower motor.

dan-hipgrave
21-02-05, 05:16 PM
yeh it was a mk1 dash before and had the same problem mate so im pretty sure its the motor..

Cheers guys :D

Nobby
21-02-05, 08:31 PM
lol mine dont wrk at all does that mean my matrix has gone??

dan-hipgrave
21-02-05, 08:41 PM
i think your problem would be motor as well mate, as if the matrix is gone it would still blow out air but it would constantly be cold..

M_U_T_A_N_T21
21-02-05, 10:39 PM
i know on transits when that happens its the relay under the bonnet just above the o/s headlight but id check to see if it has a relay if so replace it

Aragorn
22-02-05, 10:49 AM
motor starts to sieze up and especially on lower settings it gets stuck, draws a shit load of current and the blows the ballast resistor

replace the motor and you'll be fine

as for this relay on transits thats really useful as my dads van blower doesnt work - where is the relay exactly?

M_U_T_A_N_T21
22-02-05, 04:55 PM
drivers side headlight under the bonnect just above it there should be a relay

nathan.
22-02-05, 06:37 PM
the resistors will have failed thats why it only works on 3. speed 1 and 2 goes through the resistors to give the fan less power so it spins slower. speed 3 dosen't need a resistor as it gets full power.
not sure where they are located on a nova. have a look in haynes

nathan