2. front uprated to ate calipers & rear drums
3. ate front calipers & rear disc conversion

a. at 30
b. at 60
:?:
dave

Stuart
20-02-05, 10:38 PM
you'll probably find taht the distances wont be that much different. its just you can do it more frequently and harder with the astra vented stuff etc.

we did tests at uni with accelerometers (they do the other way ;) ) and found that on the same vehicle most upgrades dont reduce the distance by much. but the endurance of them was obv increased.

would be intresting for some "proper" data to be accumulated.

maybe get Will to do a std 1.2 test lol

Nick
21-02-05, 12:00 AM
i noticed a massive difference in the distance that i could stop in, after fitting ATE brakes...

Altho, with new pads and disks i found it was alot lot easier to lock the wheels up, obviously

i would too like to see some figures, as at the moment the insurance company charges me extra for my 16v brakes, and it'd be interesting to see what they say if i provide them with figures prooving they are a safety asset.

Philsutton
21-02-05, 12:31 PM
well braking hard from from 130+ with standard stuff is useless, the uprated brakes seem to work better when braking from higher speeds but at low speed around town ect.. then normal brakes arent that much different.

Jack
21-02-05, 01:23 PM
lol my standard 1.2 brakes were like cheese. In the saloon, anything faster than 60 and you'd be better off opening the door and putting your foot on the ground...

Took a bit of getting used to the Celica, nearly put myself thru the windscreen a couple of times :lol:

SRlew
21-02-05, 04:05 PM
well my standard 1.4 sr brakes are s**t i'v nearlly crashed a couple of times.

krobinson
21-02-05, 05:06 PM
The mk1 nova's have the worse brakes in the history of the automobile.

I got into my old mk1 nova the other day to move it out of the drive, nearly went into next door neightbours garden, i forgot how shit the brakes are.

The SPI onward nova's had better brakes. Also the GTE/GSI's etc

Keith

Riggy
21-02-05, 07:15 PM
lol yeah std nova brakes arnt very good lol

:lol: lee h makes me laugh drivin a 2l16v run around on std 1.4 brakes :o mad man

Philsutton
21-02-05, 08:08 PM
^^ i did that when i ran my 10 inch slicks to get the wheels on. Hmm it wasnt fun, trying to stop it on the motorway was scray lol

Aragorn
22-02-05, 11:23 AM
biggest problem with a nova and stopping distance is it will just lockup

broos3 has a micra courtesy car just now (with tiddly unvented brakes) and we tried emergency stop from 40mph and it did it in about 3 car lengths on damp road

same thing in the nova with 2.0 brakes and we locked up almost instantly then after some simulated abs via foot pedal got it stopped about a mile along the road compared to the micra

(and before anyone says its cause i didnt brake properly the idea was to simulate emergency situation when the first instinct is to jam the pedal on, i could have stopped much earlier if i braked more steadily and controlled but if someone pulls out/jumps out infront of you, youve already jammed the brakes on before ur brain says "oh wait i need to brake calmly")

i think i might well experiment with ABS on the nova cause i want brakes like that micra and without ABS its not going to happen

on a dry road from high speed the nova would probably win, but most emergency braking is done in damp/wet conditions at 30-45mph imo and in these situation i think ABS would be a great help

hendrix
22-02-05, 11:36 AM
I was also thinkin of ABS. seems like a good plan! I can remember when i got out of my nova and drove me mums scorpio and almost went thru the front window cuz the brakes actually worked!

Stuart
22-02-05, 11:48 AM
aside from ABS actually increaseing braking distances :p

tyres have a massive influence in braking!
you notice it more with an abs vehicle. i mean mine only comes on now when i brake on mud etc, when it used to come on when i was braking on damp tarmac with the ropey "nexan" F1 copies lol

and stiff front suspension dosent help lol