PDA

View Full Version : Electric windows??

Nobby
19-02-05, 10:36 PM
I want 2 put leecy windows in my j reg 1.0L nova ow do i go about this??
What do i need if i go to a scrappy?? cheers :D

dan-hipgrave
19-02-05, 10:55 PM
I was doing this to my car today mate - you need the window regulators, the loom connecting it all plus the switches for the centre console.

If your going to get it all from a scrappy then you have to drill out the rivets holding the regulators in place before they can be removed.

Nick
20-02-05, 11:41 PM
there are about 20 posts about this, i posted a guide in another post.

just look through the forums

flowlikewater
21-02-05, 05:05 PM
im fitting e/w but got a kit (i like the garantee) but am waiting for a dry day!!! its been snowing today so could be waiting abit longer. the kit looks quite simple.

dont know bout the scrappy tho.

Nobby
21-02-05, 05:42 PM
ive tried lookin 4 the post but i cant see it wat topics it in styling technical??

Nick
21-02-05, 06:00 PM
technical

ade
21-02-05, 10:41 PM
leccy windws are usually in the same loom as the central locking so make sure you get the right wires. theres a wrong quick way and a right slower way to fit them. Do the right way and save yourself tons of hastle.

The right way takes longer - means removing your wing from your car but it will look and last alot longer.

You need to replace the armatures that push the window up and down. To do this correctly you need to use the right pot rivets - if you use too thin ones they will snap under pressure.

Make sure when passing the cables from the door to the body you dont drill a hole on the door edge on the car side - the wire will crimp and eventually snag and snap or short out. The door edge is thick (its a supporting structure) and will take for ever to drill through. Also you'll never properly seal it.

Do the job properly and run the wire from the side of the car behind the wing (see drawing below). You'll need to get some rubber connectors - these can be pinched off other 3 door cars with similar set ups (any car will do). An exampl fo what youre trying to achieve can be seen from the wires that run from the Nova hatch to the body and contain the rear motor wires, heated rear window and water pipes.

You could do it the "quick way" but I can guarantee it'll shag up within 12 months and cause you more grief!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wrong1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/right.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/right1.jpg

TBH posting a full detailed explanation will take AGES. You need to strip your doors down so you can remove the old mechanical armatures, remove part of the interior to route the cables, remove your wings (and bumper) to properly fit the rubber feeds as well as work out the wiring.

It'll take you the better part of a day (if done properly) on your own. The best thing about doing the above method is if you choose to fit central locking, the rubber feeds will give you a channel for getting the cables through. It'll also give you the space for speaker cables for door mounted pods etc...

Ade