PDA

View Full Version : Digi Dash Problem

-=VanMan=-
19-02-05, 06:38 PM
Bulb went on the rev counter side so took it out and replaced it.

Went to turn the ignition on and its not lighting up at all now :|

Any ideas :?:

Nick
19-02-05, 06:41 PM
have you tried all the wire connections...

you could have jolted a wire taking it out ?

are you sure you replaced it with the correct halogen bulb ?

-=VanMan=-
19-02-05, 06:45 PM
I dont have a tester plus it came out easy enough, even if the bulb was wrong then the otherside would still be working wouldnt it!?

Nick
19-02-05, 06:54 PM
oh right, the WHOLE dash is not lighting up.

Check your fusebox for the Dash fuse. You may have blown the dash fuse, i did this in a friends nova, and his dash didn't light up.

you may find that your interior light is also not working !?

-=VanMan=-
19-02-05, 06:58 PM
Nope, interior light is fine :(

I'll investigate further tomorrow seen as I cant see shit

DEATHCAT
24-02-05, 12:59 AM
m8 i had a problem with none of it lighting up and i could not figure it out so i removed all lives and earths and reconnected them and vwella it worked ;)

now i have a problem everything is working except the rev counter.. ??

i had a auto electrition test the green wire coming from the coil in the coil socket and its live but its not doing anything on the dash. the speedometer works gr8

any suggestions

Aragorn
24-02-05, 09:54 AM
green wire shouldnt be live?

its connected to the negative of the coil and feeds the back EMF from the collapsing coil field into the dash which detects the HV pulse

it shouldnt really be measurable without an oscilliscope and i doubt your auto electrician dug out one of those

anywya check all the wiring

do the telltales come on??
does the LCD come on very dimly(u really need to look hard to see if its on without backlighting)?
if neither of these work then the entire dash isnt getting juice (or isnt earthed)

DEATHCAT
24-02-05, 01:04 PM
green wire shouldnt be live?

its connected to the negative of the coil and feeds the back EMF from the collapsing coil field into the dash which detects the HV pulse

it shouldnt really be measurable without an oscilliscope and i doubt your auto electrician dug out one of those

m8 what he did was it connected this screwdriver thing to earth and put it into the hole and when i reved it flashed on and off he said thats write but its not moving the dash rev meter ??

any suggestions

Nick
24-02-05, 06:33 PM
he doesn't sound much of an autoelectrician to me,

if it was somthing flashing on and off, who knows what shape the singal being produced is.

for example it could be a random wave, a square wave , a sine wave.

Most autoelectrians i've seen in action all have had Hand held osciliscopes, and they're onyl roughly about ?129, pretty handy but shit resolution.

DEATHCAT
24-02-05, 10:36 PM
well could i run another wire from the coil to the clocks to test it out and see if theres not a faulty wire in the loom ??

Nick
24-02-05, 10:44 PM
yep do that

thegsikid
27-02-05, 09:33 PM
i had this problem with a set of digi clocks it was due to a component in the clock failing glad they where a customers in for repair and not mine

DEATHCAT
27-02-05, 10:46 PM
well i never had that problem i just put a new wire from the coil to the dash and it worked :) so i cut the green one off.

also my oil lights is flashing on and off and its saying its full ??

any suggestions

Riggy
27-02-05, 10:50 PM
cos you wont have the right oil pressure sender on the engine

you need one from a sr/gte/gsi

DEATHCAT
27-02-05, 10:52 PM
won't my standard one be sufficient also if not you know where i can get one from ??

thx in advance

Riggy
27-02-05, 10:56 PM
no the 1.2 one wont work

if you want a gte one i have one spare just nip down for it and will sort out a price for it

DEATHCAT
27-02-05, 10:58 PM
ok will try but prolly l8r on in the week m8 also i think there is something up with my petrol reading.

because i used to put ?20 in and on my old clock it will go to the end (FULL)

but now it only goes halfway in the dash ??