PDA

View Full Version : polycarbonate windows

benji
18-02-05, 07:59 PM
has any one got pic's of a polycarbonate window kit fitted to a nova, i want to see what everyone's done with the rubbers.

cheers

ben.

m.d.
18-02-05, 08:54 PM
rear windows go into the standard rubbers and the front ones you push up into the standard rubbers and bolt/bond the bottom half in place.

benji
18-02-05, 09:00 PM
i can't use the standard rubbers when it's 1 piece not 2

5_door owner
18-02-05, 11:04 PM
im sure ive heard of someone using metro rubber on the fronts

-Bruce-
19-02-05, 09:55 AM
I have some poly carb at mah work that could work, its 8mm thick though what thickness am i looking for??

Bruce

rednova
19-02-05, 12:03 PM
tru corsa robbers for the scraper seal/mouldings and the normal nova one is suitable for the top just cut off the bit you dont need, you can hardly see the join

Stuart
19-02-05, 12:04 PM
4mm idealy.

im gonna run 2mm for the rears and passenger side, but 4mm for mine lol.

benji
19-02-05, 12:28 PM
i've used 5mm because i could get eithr 3mm or 5mm and i thought 3mm might be a bit too thin. it cost me a tenner for the whole set :D

-Bruce-
20-02-05, 05:03 PM
LOL i did think that 8mm will be abit too thick!! ah well.

Bruce

burgo
20-02-05, 07:52 PM
i've used 5mm because i could get eithr 3mm or 5mm and i thought 3mm might be a bit too thin. it cost me a tenner for the whole set :Dhow did you manage to get the for a tenner??

benji
20-02-05, 10:47 PM
the place i have been working use it to make signs

Austin_Nova16
21-02-05, 01:38 PM
I also used corsa rubbers, and then a nova one at the bottom iirc.

The slider part of mine just hookes over the door and holds it in tight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Austin/hollow_door.jpg

Philsutton
21-02-05, 02:29 PM
anyone fancy making some for a 5 door?? :D

Will
21-02-05, 02:48 PM
I also used corsa rubbers, and then a nova one at the bottom iirc.

The slider part of mine just hookes over the door and holds it in tight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Austin/hollow_door.jpg

doesnt doing that to the door weaken it a lot?

Dar
21-02-05, 03:06 PM
Thats exactly what I was going to do to my doors when my ploycarb windows arrive.

How is the door with that much taken out of it? I know you CAN take too much out and then it goes all floppy :lol:

Stuart
21-02-05, 03:20 PM
hes got door bars in his cage ;)

dont do it otherwise!

alistairolsen
21-02-05, 05:12 PM
door bars are a good idea, but I wouldnt let it have aby bearing on whether you cut the innards out of the doors. Having had a side inplact in a nova, I can safely say that the inner, and for that matter outer skin does very little. The main strength is in the sill box section and the pillars. Also, If a pointed branch or whatever comes thru the skin, the door bar isnt going to save you, neither is the inner skin. Be aware tho, it will be cold, very noisy etc.

Bottom line is novas dont crash well at all!!

Oh, and BTW, your carrying wayyy too much weight with those internally adjustable mirors lol, get some merit spec ones!

Austin_Nova16
21-02-05, 06:41 PM
Oh, and BTW, your carrying wayyy too much weight with those internally adjustable mirors lol, get some merit spec ones!

LOL! I've got to have some luxury! :lol:

Dar - The doors are still nice and rigid after a couple of years use. I've cut the handle part off now, and use the lock plunger to open the door from the inside. Much neater.

benji
21-02-05, 07:05 PM
anyone fancy making some for a 5 door?? :D

it's about 20mins work with a jigsaw. lay the glass on the polycarb sheet, draw round it with a marker (meths will remove it if you draw in the wrong place) put masking tape on the sheet where the jigsaw will sit to stop it scratching.

alistairolsen
21-02-05, 08:00 PM
luxury lol!!! Might do this with a mtes car, dunno how extreme the weight saving will be going tho!

Philsutton
21-02-05, 08:05 PM
i might give it go then during the summer when everything else is sorted, get rid of somemore weight