PDA

View Full Version : Ported???

ade
18-02-05, 07:10 PM
What is ported?

What does it do?

and if I fitted a ported head to my GSi engine, do I have to change any of ther "bits" (ie pistons, valves etc).

Just curious...

Ade

dunova
18-02-05, 07:19 PM
It just means that ports are drilled in the combustion chamber and inlet of the cylinder head, therefore making it easier for the gases to flow through. You could fit a ported head and not do anything else, but you could also get the head skimmed whilst you're at it. This will increase compression, but if it's skimmed by too much you will have trouble. I think a 2mm skim is considered to be quite a lot.

jay
18-02-05, 07:41 PM
they open up the ports a bit,you have to get your inlet manifold suited to match really as they'll be a bit bigger,they normally polish at the same time to let everything flow quicker with more ease. most people normally go for bigger valves whilst this is being done

Riggy
18-02-05, 11:51 PM
im sure i remeber camb sayin that it better not to polish the inlet ports as it creates less turbulance

Stuart
19-02-05, 12:07 PM
indeed i did :p

look on www.max-boost.co.uk he has a load of links to porting info in the breathing section regarding the LET, but the principles are the same

ade
19-02-05, 06:36 PM
cool.

cheers guys.

The heads been skimmed from what i can gather.

Nick
19-02-05, 06:39 PM
some people highly polish the ports, which is bad. (like a mirror polish, you see this on jap cars alot, because they think it's cool)

a slightly rough port wall rolls the air/fuel mixture as it's passing through, this provides better fuel atomisation and also stops the fuel from dropping out of suspension.

burgo
20-02-05, 03:34 PM
some people highly polish the ports, which is bad. (like a mirror polish, you see this on jap cars alot, because they think it's cool)

a slightly rough port wall rolls the air/fuel mixture as it's passing through, this provides better fuel atomisation and also stops the fuel from dropping out of suspension. actually on the exhaust ports a mirror polish is what you want but just do the inlet ports with 80 grit emery cloth and you'll be fine

Nick
20-02-05, 09:47 PM
well i thought that was self explanitory, as you shouldn't care about any fuel atomisation characteristics in the exhuast ports

burgo
20-02-05, 11:52 PM
well i thought that was self explanitory, as you shouldn't care about any fuel atomisation characteristics in the exhuast portsnot to some people on here

Nick
20-02-05, 11:56 PM
i suppose so