PDA

View Full Version : 1.2i. Keeping the cat. Do I change the manifold?

dandan
18-02-05, 05:51 PM
Right so I've changed the cam. Built the induction kit but have decided, due to personal constraints, that I am gonna keep the cat on the exhaust.
Is it worth changing the manifold and if so to what. Obviously(cos we're not ALL that bright) its gotta fit standard exhaust.
And what about the lambda sensor?

Aragorn
18-02-05, 11:51 PM
i assume you have a k plate?

if so u could fit a SRi manifold downpipe cat and system, then buy a decat section for the sri system for use normally and therefore u can refit the cat for the MOT

if its a J plate just rip it all off

NovaloadedAgain
19-02-05, 08:28 AM
My nova was a K-reg, Got a private plate on now whicjh now makes it a J-reg. Do you think they will realise at the MOT? Mine has no Cat.

kevw
19-02-05, 08:36 AM
What is the score with MOT's and cat's?

if they are required after a certain year what year was it? (guessing 92 or 93 coz thats the K reg years)

Kev

NovaloadedAgain
19-02-05, 11:27 AM
I heard its k reg after a certain month, Duno which month? Hope I can avoid it, My rate will probably allow it but still just in case the police pull me for a full VOSA check

Ste_Nova
19-02-05, 12:08 PM
neither of my late k black vin plated cars have cats on

NovaloadedAgain
19-02-05, 12:16 PM
Thats a result then, But from What i heard: If your engine is out of an older car they have to go by test laws from then. But whats the rules on a K Plate Nova with Original lump? My mate will probably let it through, Just want to know where I stand.
Cheers

dandan
19-02-05, 01:34 PM
Any car with an engine that was made after Aug '92 has to, by law, have to have a cat. If the engine is older than this its down to the owner to prove it. (Thanks Aragorn..... see I do pay attention!)

I still wanna no if, performance wise, its worth changin the manifold.

NovaloadedAgain
19-02-05, 01:42 PM
Ive got a 4 branch, & it gets the gases out quicker som thus improving performance, I would probably say its a good idea if your putting a better system on. I.e a 1.2 Put an SR system & GSi manifold. etc

I have a GSi standard Manifold 4-2-1 for sale! PM me if your interested.

NovaloadedAgain
19-02-05, 01:58 PM
Ive just found out that U don't need a cat, Apparently none of the nova's are listed on the Ministry Of Transport as needing a cat.

Ste_Nova
19-02-05, 02:19 PM
till it goes digital soon.... the computer will decide if it needs a car or not

it also has a digi cam on it so the dvla have a photo of the car at each mot :o

NovaloadedAgain
19-02-05, 02:27 PM
REALLY!!!! :o
What about all the valvers who havent declared there cars properly!!!!

Also i really cant see the DVLA looking through all tapes of cars MOT'd.

Adam
19-02-05, 03:33 PM
Ive just found out that U don't need a cat, Apparently none of the nova's are listed on the Ministry Of Transport as needing a cat.
That is true i think.
But some are still tested under CAT rules, and if its Kreg then it will fail.
Just depends where you take your car for mot, some will pick up on it and others won't.
And for all the valvers that haven't declared there cars properly, they shouldn't be on the road until they have :wink:

NovaloadedAgain
19-02-05, 04:07 PM
Lol, You are right but Im sure theres alot who "forget" to send off the V5 with change of engine details.

Ste_Nova
19-02-05, 04:58 PM
REALLY!!!! :o
What about all the valvers who havent declared there cars properly!!!!

Also i really cant see the DVLA looking through all tapes of cars MOT'd.

not tapes.... photos on the mot test bay... photos will go on the cars record

chapers
19-02-05, 07:41 PM
im trying not to be stupid here but what in the MOT are they actually testing? are they taking readings from the CAT itself or is it just an emmisions thing :?

sorry i jus really dont get it all :?

chaps