PDA

View Full Version : throttle boddies or not? your views and reccomendations

nova---chris
17-02-05, 04:19 AM
I currently run a 2L 16V XE on carbs. I use dta ignition only management.
Theres alot of other stuff done to the engine as you will see from my link in my signature. Currently its producing 200bhp @ 6323 rpm. Runs a 13.8 with stripped interior. everything else set for road use .Now ive been debating the throttle boddie route for several months but now have decided to pursue it . Im wondering what sort of power gains am i likely to see with my setup? I know driveability would improve no doubt as would fuel consumption ect. But im hoping there would be a decent gain to be had to?? Also what injectors would i be needing or would be best??
What throttles would people reccomend? Direct to head? taperd? parrallels?
I definatly want dta management tho. ect

Just like to know what peoples thoughts would be on this.
And what sort of gains id be expecting?
Thanks in advance peeps

And thus my last post about my bits forsale. If i sorce a set which meet my requirements then my stuff is for sale as soon as the deal is done!!

peester
17-02-05, 07:42 AM
have u seen this..?
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=180796

Stuart
17-02-05, 08:03 AM
i dunno dude, its alot of money for only a few bhp gained.

id only imagine you get to 210 at most, although that will depend on the ropey RR lol

if you do go for it im sure we can sort some things extra out on the loom

martweaver
17-02-05, 08:30 AM
The car I always think about when it comes to Novas on TB's is J20NOV, I am sure that was running a solid 250 - 260bhp, but whan I spoke to the guy at York once he claimed to have spent 10k on his engine :o .
On the same day he was eventually beaten by a GTE running an XE on twin 45's & lumpy cams!!! All you seem to gain over carbs with them is reliability!
I would stick with what you know mate, as its been said you could spend 2k getting them on and running right & only see marginal gains.

Mart

raza
17-02-05, 08:53 AM
hmm the Tbs on ollys nova .. is there much diff with them and a set of 40s? cos i thought they was the same thing .. well they looked the same :(

Lee H
17-02-05, 09:21 AM
Don't do it mate. As Cambridge said a lot of ??? for very little gain. How many TB'd Nova's have beaten your 1/4 time? None that I can think of!!

j1400
17-02-05, 10:33 AM
DTH bodies are good as they are cheap, and fit straight on. you only get a small top end gain due to better fuel atomisation and less restriction as no choke. but what yo do gain is the ability to get the fuelling spot on at every point on the curve. ans hence better midrange. From QED the bodies are ?520 with fuel rail and thottle linkage, then just use the trumpets from the carbs and air filter. upgrade the ecu and map it, would be in the region of ?1000 up and running.
and sell off the Carbs to get some money back.

Injectors of choice are the std biege or blue injectors found on the 20XE's

the fuel economy means you will earn the money back evenutally.

Fuel injection is thw way forward, but its wether you can justify the cost of it.

Dar
17-02-05, 10:41 AM
If you where asking about switching from the standard injection to TB's then I would say go for tapered throttle bodies.

But you already have a decent setup. Plus i've talked to alot of people (who race) that still prefer webbers to TB's.

So I think your best bet for power gains is to forget about throttle bodies and use the spare cash to do more to the engine. Im sure you would gain more power per ? going down this route than you would if you got TB's.

I've just been looking at the SBD website and they have a kit on webbers that produces 240bhp (Or there abouts) with no head work. Since you have most of what the kit comprises of anyway you could just get the extra bits and then get it all setup. Bingo lots more hp.

Hope this helps.

Will F
17-02-05, 10:42 AM
Having owned both I would say TBs hands down, but it is a lot more money. They are only more reliable, if your carbs arent!!

They are MUCH better in the cold mornings, and better mapping means they can be fine tuned a bit more

Fuel cons is better too.

But its whether you can justify spending the cash etc...

alistairolsen
17-02-05, 11:22 AM
Alll depends what you want really. 45s are an easy cheap route to lots of power and as such, TBs wont give you more power (by a lot) or improve your times, but thats not what they are about. 45s allow only linear relationships between fuelling and air flow, and because the fuelling is mechanically linked to the air flow, any wear shows in lumpinesss etc. with carbs you can set them for outright power and theyw ont idle for shit, or you can set them for perfect midrange and they will idle of, and give reaonable, but not massive top end, you cannot ever get all three. With TB's you can map the fuelling exactly how the engine wants it. You can have a perfect idle, perfect midrange and maximum power. Its not about figures on paper, its about driveability. Id much rather come out to my car in the morning, turn the key to a perfect idle, wait fo it to warm up a little, and then drive off with perfect midrange, and still be able to take it up the qtr flat out with as much top and as possible than go out to try and start a car with carbs on choke, keep the revs up cos it wont idle, let it warm up fully, enjoy the dtive and know that top end is limited.

Stuart
17-02-05, 11:36 AM
his engine is always up for it.

it idles nice, it pulls like a train mid range and obv pulls off top notch 1/4 times.

tricky call really.

nova---chris
17-02-05, 12:35 PM
Cheers Peeps for the comments on things.
Yes the engine is always up for it. Like stu said thaeres power all the way to the limiter and its never failed to start / idle on cold mornings.
Never ran a choke on them as i dont see any need to. The only problem i do have is a bit of a lumpy bottom end due tot he way the carbs are jetted ect ect. But then you ask yourself when do you use below 2500rpm on pod or at track. Never i guess!

Ive bored my normal groupies to death with this conversation over the past 12 months. But cant decide what to do Like people say if it costs me 1500 to get it all sorted then i only gain silly amounts would it be worth it.
Ive already invested in a power upgrade for this year which should see me pulling some seriously good times up pod and on track. I suppose the best thing to do is see how i go with the current setup in the new shell then decide from there. Perhaps it would be 1500 wasted.

Everyone that goes int he car always comments ont he webbers too. They do sound awesome on full chat! And i guess its different to all the throttle boddied engines that are appearing.
I dunno what else can i do it. If i dont get throttles anything else i should change. or should i just keep what i have. lol

Anyhow thanks again
Chris

Lee H
17-02-05, 12:37 PM
For ?1500 might as well get a LET :oops:

Only messing mate, defo stick to the carbs!!

scott.parker
17-02-05, 03:00 PM
Chris chris chris,come on stop getting all gittery,you know them Lovly T45's and your DTA and your "other" mod's will be just fine,i think you will be wasting your money,and your time as you have said you have gone for,and found a good set up that is working...dont fix it unless it's boken is the saying :wink:

So if you brake it,then rebuild with TB's :lol:

You know i want the TB route,as i have chewed your ear off night affter night on msn about it,and as im running standard gear at the mo,it makes more snece(pluss i would need a few oth parts to run carbs,tank/lines/fule pump/etc) for me to go for TB's,alos im greedy :P

Scott

Philsutton
17-02-05, 03:54 PM
i would stick with the carbs an have some head work done instead, thats if you havent already?

Stuart
17-02-05, 05:21 PM
lol @ get some head work ;)

tbh there isnt much more to do to that engine short of going ally/titanium etc

Philsutton
17-02-05, 05:29 PM
lol yeah ive just check the engine spec, maybe i should have done that first

krobinson
17-02-05, 06:16 PM
You should be able to find something to take the engine closer to 220bhp. Steven's last XE on 45's made 224bhp on Dyno, which he said is achieveable.

I must see if i can get him to post a spec?

Keith